Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,817   Posts: 1,581,641   Online: 777

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    To obtain the proper angle of view, use your drafting skills to make a top or side view of the camera and the relationship of the pin hole to the film plane. Just draw a line from the edge of the film out through the pin hole along both edges. This is your "view finder" for the focal length. You can now make two paper apertures (big one front, small one back) to stick in place so you can compose before the shot. Takes a little bit of playing to get it right, but it will give you an accurate window to compose by. Great job for your first hand-made camera. When is the 8x10 going to be done? tim
    Thanks for the hints regarding angle of view. For now I drew two lines on the box, both on the top and one side, from the film plane to the pinhole. That gives me a rough idea of the angle of view, good enough for that first camera, which I'm afraid will fall apart in a few days, anyway

As for 8x10, you hit the nail on the head. I recently made some comment here at APUG in another thread, that simply reading about LF makes we want to give it a try. Not necessarily pinhole, I'd also love to see a camera with lense of that or another large format.

Attached is my first color shot. The film was expired like the B&W one, but showed significant decline in quality compared to the B&W film. However, my scanner somehow added brightness and shifted the colors, so the result is quite okay. The original is darker and lacks yellow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails first_color_shot.jpg  

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lack of yellow, in a pinhole Polaroid, is as likely to be due to reciprocity failure inducing a color shift as it is due to age (if the pod is still moist enough to spread and develop the print, age-related color shifts are likely to be minimal). Type 669/89, especially, is prone to shift to blue when exposures exceed about 1/2 second.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Donald, I think you found the reason for the color shift. Exposure time was more than 4 minutes, I should have thought of reciprocal failure myself.

Aside from that I think the color film has had its days. I bought it two years ago, and then forgot about it.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Generally, with most Polaroid materials, if the pod still has enough "goop" in it (to use the technical term) to develop the print, it'll work fine. However -- when making pinhole images, it may be impossble to separate the effects. Either way, a nice blue filter and lots of extra exposure should fix it up...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Donald, thanks a lot for all the info and comments. Much appreciated!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin