Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,545,998   Online: 903

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Infected with pinhole virus - my first shot!

The people here at APUG are really good at infecting innocent people like me with new photographic viruses

Browsing the APUG forum for a few days now, I also read some threads on pinhole cameras. I found that interesting, so last night I did some basic reading on it, and an hour ago I started building my very first pinhole camera!

Being a rather impatient person, it had to go really fast, I wanted to see how it works and wanted to see the first exposure. I quickly drew the layout of a simple box on a piece of black paper, glued it all together with black gaffer tape and fixed it to the Pola back of my (stolen) MF camera. After half an hour my masterpiece of fine craftsmanship was finished.

The biggest surprise was, of course, it actually worked and was lighttight. I neither have the skill nor was I in my excitement patient enough to make or get a good metal plate hole, so for this first try I simply punched a hole into the paper made box with a needle.

Focal length: 90mm (3,54 in)
    Pinhole: 0.6mm (0.236 in)
    Film: Fuji instant B&W, 100 ASA, 6x6cm (MF), 1 year expired
    Exposure time: 4.5 minutes
    Light: 40W table lamp

For your entertainment find attached to this post

- the actual shot (me reading APUG during exposure. First one was black, second white, this is the third exposure. Seems like I assumed my pinhole camera to be a little more wide angle that it actually was)

- my exquisite blue print for the paper box

- a scan (don't have a digi at hand, d'uh) of the camera

That was both great fun and an interesting experience. I felt a little like a kid on christmas. First thing tomorrow I'll do an outdoor shot, now it's dark over here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails first_pinhole_shot.jpg   sketch.gif   fine_craftsmansship.jpg  

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Great isn't it? Knowing that it works. I just posted my very first shot as well. Look for thread about daylab pinhole and 665 film

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

photo

Nice first photo!
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very nice work!

'Expertly mounted with black tape' hehehe!

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    fun isn't it!

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aaaah. Pikers.

I've got, right here, a Polaroid Model 210 that's been converted for auto-exposure pinhole photography. Just waiting for me to get some Type 667...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    auto-exposure pinhole photography
    Auto-exposure? What have you got up your sleeve?

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very simple, really -- I just locked the camera in 3000 speed mode and bollixed the opening over the electric eye to reduce it about the same amount as the pinhole reduced the original f/42 (or so) aperture. Only about an hour more work than the minimal, manual-shutter pinhole conversion would have been. So, when it's sunny out, I can point and shoot on Type 667 -- exposures can run as low as 1/4 second, if I'm figuring it right. I might find I have to add a tripod mount and fabricate a cable release adapter, we'll see when I have film...

As a bonus, with the original focal length, the original parallax corrected viewfinder is still accurate, as long as I set the distance on the scale...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks a lot guys for all the nice comments.

Auto-exposure with a pinhole? It will be a long way for me before I'm able to build such Star Trek-technology into my camera.

Nige, I looked at that world pinhole day site, fascinating!

As threatened to do, I made an outdoor photograph this morning. We've got a little snow already, otherwise the weather is just plain ugly these days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lindwurm.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To obtain the proper angle of view, use your drafting skills to make a top or side view of the camera and the relationship of the pin hole to the film plane. Just draw a line from the edge of the film out through the pin hole along both edges. This is your "view finder" for the focal length. You can now make two paper apertures (big one front, small one back) to stick in place so you can compose before the shot. Takes a little bit of playing to get it right, but it will give you an accurate window to compose by. Great job for your first hand-made camera. When is the 8x10 going to be done? tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin