Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,911   Posts: 1,521,594   Online: 851

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Do pinhole images enlarge?

Will I be able to enlarge my 645 pinhole images whether optically or digitally?

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Naturally. You may get some missing edge if you use a standard neg carrier, but if you're using film rather than paper a pinhole neg is just a neg.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    you can def. enlarge them. I just enlarged (wet darkroom) some MF negs to 8"x8" to print as van dykes. Martha Casanave enlarged her coastal series from 4x5 to 16"x20" and they look great. the image will get "more less-sharp" the larger you make it. I agree with poptart, a neg is a neg

good luck
    Tom
    f295
    Pittsburgh, PA USA
    www.f295.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wayne, now I am envious that I don't have a pinhole cap any more! I might have to go find one for my new RB67.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen
    Wayne, now I am envious that I don't have a pinhole cap any more! I might have to go find one for my new RB67.
    You know I was just thinking the same.

The reason I asked if you can enlarge the engs is that I did read that they didn't enlarge very well. What is there like a 2 to 3x enlargment factor before they turn to mush.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Hey Paul, I live in Denverland. I'll make you a pinhole if you want one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poptart
    Hey Paul, I live in Denverland. I'll make you a pinhole if you want one.
    Sweet, I will PM you. I just need to get a body cap I guess.

Wayne, I printed a couple of images and they were pretty soft. I do know of a guy who shoots on something like 8X10 paper and then enlarges through the ceiling of his garage to the floor and makes some massive prints. I would guess that he does 5-6X enlargements. I think that the idea is to go with the lack of sharpness and make sure that it fits your image. I will see what I can hunt down and post if I can find it. One good thing about the pinhole I sent you is that the hole is very small and precision cut. That does give you a sharper image than with a larger or rougher pinhole.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wayne, here is a scan of a print from the pinhole cap I sold you. I did the normal amount of Photoshop sharpening and otherwise it is just what the scanner captured. Not much of an image, but the sharpness isn't too bad. In some ways, I felt that the images I was getting were a bit too sharp for pinhole images.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wheelbarrow.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen
    Wayne, here is a scan of a print from the pinhole cap I sold you. I did the normal amount of Photoshop sharpening and otherwise it is just what the scanner captured. Not much of an image, but the sharpness isn't too bad. In some ways, I felt that the images I was getting were a bit too sharp for pinhole images.
    Thanks Paul; It'll work for me just fine. Let me know how the 67 pinhole works out. I might have to make one myself.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin