Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,869   Online: 1116

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My son did pinhole cameras for his science fair project last year. We just used a modified body cap on a 35mm camera and tried different sized pinholes to see what effect they had on the image. We also took some non-pinhole photos and compared the properties of the "lens" images to those of the pinhole images.

Not sure what the requirements are for your son's science fair, but be sure to delve into the science of pinhole cameras. Most school science fairs are looking for more than just pretty pictures and want the student to understand (and be able to explain) the science behind them.

I've been into pinhole photography for about three years and there's just a certain magic in making an image with a camera that costs practically nothing and has no lens. Hopefully this project will ignite your son's interest in photography. And don't forget about Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day, April 30th. See http://www.pinholeday.org for more details.
    "Photograph more, worry less"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hey Brad:
    What a joy to read your post. It is great to be learning through doing.
    My wife and kids are currently visiting my wife's family in Japan and in an email I received from my 8 year old son, he wants to help me some more in photography when he returns. I tell ya, kids are a wonderful blessings aren't they.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    Brad , you can wax the paper negs and use them like you would a regular negative in an enlarger. All of it is fun. Also get some of the Freestyle Arista ortho film (cheap) and play with it. It also can be done in dektol. It will give you a positive, but it would be fun to display those on a make shift light table.

Why? Is it direct positive? I thought most of the Arista ortho was standard Kodalith film.

tim in san jose (we have our own Tap plastics here, source of many homegrownphoto projects)
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Arista ortho halftone supreme is not a reversal film. The Photo Warehouse used to (and may still) sell a reversal film that you can process in Dektol. It's a good quick way to make an enlarged negative in one step in the darkroom.

But, I digress... Brad - great project, have fun with it. My 11-year old daughter is becoming a pretty damn good platinum printer. She's using digital negs that I help her with (oh, get OVER it), but when she prints, she doesn't need much help any more. I also plan to teach my older daughter to print, then pay her to do some of my printing for me this summer. Beats the hell out of working at McDonald's!!
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the positive feedback folk! Too many for me to reply to individually (I actually had to work **hard** today).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin