Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,653   Online: 853

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Father - Son pinhole project...

My 10 year old son decided he wanted to do a pinhole camera for his science fair project this year. We followed the plans provided by Chris Patton (see: http://www.stanford.edu/~cpatton/ ). This is the first pinhole camera for both of us and the first year in three years of participating in the local science fair that my son is driving the project. He is so excited...and obsessed. It's a joy to witness his enthusiasm. We built the camera this past weekend and intend to go out and make some photos with it next weekend. Can't wait!

Well, just thought I'd share the excitement. There's so much to learn...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations. My daughters view my pinholing as some form of midlife crisis...

Shooter
    127 Format
    How about following up, by making the prints using cyanotype? That way he gets to really "make" the prints too.

I've still got all this to look forward to :-)

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    have a great time. i just discovered pinhole photography about 2 months ago. i love it. i am having a great time with it. i have been shooting paper negs most recently. the paper allows for a bigger neg, and it processes very quickly. my latest camera is a 1 gallon paint can. http://www.f295.org/Pinholeforum/for...1660354/s-all/
    have a great time. also check out
    http://www.f295.org/Pinholeforum/forum/Blah.pl? for alot of great info and a very supporting a group of shooters.
    eddie

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 127
    How about following up, by making the prints using cyanotype? That way he gets to really "make" the prints too.

I've still got all this to look forward to :-)

Ian
    Cyanotype....that would be fun. I think we'll have to settle for ordinary silver-gelatine in the bathroom. Can't wait to see his reaction when the image appears under the red light (we don't have a proper darkroom kit yet).

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    have a great time. i just discovered pinhole photography about 2 months ago. i love it. i am having a great time with it. i have been shooting paper negs most recently. the paper allows for a bigger neg, and it processes very quickly. my latest camera is a 1 gallon paint can. http://www.f295.org/Pinholeforum/fo...41660354/s-all/
    have a great time. also check out
    http://www.f295.org/Pinholeforum/forum/Blah.pl? for alot of great info and a very supporting a group of shooters.
    eddie
    Eddie, thanks for the link. The pinhole never much interested me untill I found this gallery of photos of Morocco made with a pinhole

Brad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brad , you can wax the paper negs and use them like you would a regular negative in an enlarger. All of it is fun. Also get some of the Freestyle Arista ortho film (cheap) and play with it. It also can be done in dektol. It will give you a positive, but it would be fun to display those on a make shift light table. Tap Plastic up in Concord is where you can purchase large sheets of thicker plastic. Get the opaque white about 1/8 inch thick. Set up with a stand to brack it. You can use those old funky heat lamps purchased at home depot as a light source to back light it. It is all very similar and the ordinary person's way of doing what they have done up at the Mumm Wine Gallery in Napa to highlight Ansel's few transparencies.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    Brad , you can wax the paper negs and use them like you would a regular negative in an enlarger. All of it is fun. Also get some of the Freestyle Arista ortho film (cheap) and play with it. It also can be done in dektol. It will give you a positive, but it would be fun to display those on a make shift light table. Tap Plastic up in Concord is where you can purchase large sheets of thicker plastic. Get the opaque white about 1/8 inch thick. Set up with a stand to brack it. You can use those old funky heat lamps purchased at home depot as a light source to back light it. It is all very similar and the ordinary person's way of doing what they have done up at the Mumm Wine Gallery in Napa to highlight Ansel's few transparencies.

Aggie, Excellent idea! There's a Tap plastics up in Dublin too (a little closer to home for me). I've been thinking of building a monster light board...this is just the excuse I need to slip it by the accounting dept. here at home. (!) Thanks.

Brad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    Aggie, Excellent idea! There's a Tap plastics up in Dublin too (a little closer to home for me). I've been thinking of building a monster light board...this is just the excuse I need to slip it by the accounting dept. here at home. (!) Thanks.

Brad.
    Since your accounting department and myself get along, I doubt it would have been hard to slip this one by her.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    Since your accounting department and myself get along, I doubt it would have been hard to slip this one by her.

Well, you are right - of course. It's just fun to give her a little guff once in a while. She took a job in the mall over christmas so she could get the employee discount on those fancy clothes and has stayed on. She's been the one spending like a drunken sailor for the past couple of months - which is a refreshing role reversal around the house.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    Well, you are right - of course. It's just fun to give her a little guff once in a while. She took a job in the mall over christmas so she could get the employee discount on those fancy clothes and has stayed on. She's been the one spending like a drunken sailor for the past couple of months - which is a refreshing role reversal around the house.
    She's a jewel, be proud of her!
    Non Digital Diva

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin