Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,987   Online: 977

Shooter
    4x5 Format

fledgling pinhole photographer

Hi,

Found pinhole photography about a month ago and love it. How does one determine if the picture is good, average, or down right terrible. I'm taking these pictures with my 4x5 large format camera, developing my own negs., and print black and white. Is there a "master pinhole photographer" book? Some of my pictures are sharp and some are "fuzzy". Contrasts cover the spectrum.

Thank you for your comments,

Tru

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Eric Renner is your man - this is the book you are after: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0...e=UTF8&s=books

Have a look at f295.com which is pinhole specific and you'll get all the inspiration you need and more besides! A few pinhole lurkers here on apug too!

All the best, Carl

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    An interesting site is Jan Grepstadt. Some of the information may be trivial, but some is excellent. A site with good technical information is Matt Young's.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This guy's stuff is amazing. That's just my opinion.

http://www.jeffkorte.com
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day folks have a resource page with some links. WWPD is the last Sunday in April (you've got lots of time to practice. ) They have galleries online with several thousand pinhole photos from people all over the world. That might give you some idea of the range of work that's done.

I have some scans here of 4x5 pinhole shots including some tests attempting to check pinhole-to-filmplane optimum distance. To me, I never got quite the sharpness I expected, but like you, I'm not too sure what good is! I purchased an extra body cap for the Bronica SQ-A I just acquired. I plan to try setting that extra cap up for a pinhole/shutter assembly before April 29th next year.

The WWPD folks also run some workshops at various locations, might be a chance to see some other stuff at arm's length if one is near you.

DaveT

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by trudee yama
    Hi,
    . . . Some of my pictures are sharp and some are "fuzzy". . .
    For optimum sharpness, pinhole diameter is critical. A good calculator for determining this is the PinholeDesigner

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi all... this is my first post on APUG!

I'm a newbie to Pinhole photography too - I'm finding it hard to get into making consistent pictures with it but it's all great fun modding and tweaking the camera to get it working for me.

I'm using a modded Dirkon that I have built from the template. Is there any recommendations on film type/speed I should use. I've tried HP5, Velvia 100F and I am thinking about Superia.

Here are some shots so far - nothing great but it's fun.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_moore
    Hi all... this is my first post on APUG!

I'm a newbie to Pinhole photography too - I'm finding it hard to get into making consistent pictures with it but it's all great fun modding and tweaking the camera to get it working for me.

I'm using a modded Dirkon that I have built from the template. Is there any recommendations on film type/speed I should use. I've tried HP5, Velvia 100F and I am thinking about Superia.

Here are some shots so far - nothing great but it's fun.
    Jim,

Welcome to APUG! On the contrary, I think your pinhole shots are fine. "Ominous" is my favorite--it's a classic pinhole photo that certainly lives up to its name.

- Robert
    "Photograph more, worry less"

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin