Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,459   Online: 1036

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by annam
    i don't know what the etiquette is but i am leaving for the day and will be back in the morning, thanks for your help and suggestions.
    anna
    No problem at all. This isn't really a "chat room" where people converse live online in real time (though APUG does have a chat room that doesn't get a huge amount of traffic normally--click on chat room to check it out, but it might not be working at the moment due to a recent server upgrade). APUG is mainly a discussion board, where people come and go, post, check back later, reply if they want to, etc.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Smeiglitz and Greg gave good advice. You may have a leak around the lid of the oatmeal container. A strip of black elastic from a fabric store sewn or glued into a super-size "rubber" band might help. Certainly painting the inside of the container and its lid will. Using a paint can avoids these problems. There are many sites with information on making pinholes and cameras. One of the best is Jon Grepstad. A pinhole that's burr-free and no larger than a No. 10 needle should work fairly well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you do have a light leak, you should find that paper placed in the camera will come out totally black even if you don't open the shutter. I would suggest that you put a piece of paper in the camera, leave it out in the same intensity of light and for the same duration as you have been, but don't open the shutter. Then develop the paper. If it is black, and the paper you tested with Greg_E's suggestion is not, you have a leak for sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And of course, to be totally sure, snip a small strip off the paper you use PRIOR to loading the pinhole camera and develop at same time as a control strip. It should come out blank, if not, you have a problem with the paper.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And don't expect Rustoleum flat black paint to actually be flat, or you will find out the hard way that it isn't.... Suggestions are coming down to "special" Krylon camoflage (sp?) black paint. Walmart had it the other day where I am, but only in spray cans. You can read about the paint here:
    http://www.f295.org/Pinholeforum/for.../m-1156365080/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones
    Smeiglitz and Greg gave good advice. You may have a leak around the lid of the oatmeal container. A strip of black elastic from a fabric store sewn or glued into a super-size "rubber" band might help. Certainly painting the inside of the container and its lid will. Using a paint can avoids these problems. There are many sites with information on making pinholes and cameras. One of the best is Jon Grepstad. A pinhole that's burr-free and no larger than a No. 10 needle should work fairly well.
    Good advice, I find that today's oatmeal container is more prone to light leaks than the oatmeal containers of 15-20 years ago. Especially the lid, which requires lots of black tape and black construction paper to keep tight. Yet another example of something that they don't make like they used to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anna, they are right about checking the paper you use-- even before exposing, just to make certain. Also, put the paper in your box, put in the sun, do not open the hole, and then process the paper. This will also tell you if the box is not light proof as suggested above.

I will tell you that I made an oatbox pinhole last summer. The lids of these newer containers are plastic, and are not opaque enough, even with a coat of black paint. The quick fix that I did was to cut a small circle of dark cardstock and fit it on the top of the lid. The suggestion to tape the inside of the lid where it meets the box is also necessary for a tight fit.

Good luck. I hope you reach success.

Tammy

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Aside from the great advice you've already recieved, you may also want to consider cornmeal cannisters. These are cardboard, with round cardboard lids, just like the OLD oatmeal cannisters.

Another handy container to make into a camera for a group of students is a handfull of 35mm film cannisters. Just make sure they're the opaque kind, not the Fuji style. Use a 1/4" hole punch to pierce a hole in the side, then use black tape to attach the metal pinhole square. A small piece if photo paper will work for film, just ensure its not glossy finish, or you'll get light reflection bands in the picture.

You can use a wide piece of photo paper and wrap it almost all the way around the interior, ensuring you don't obstruct the pinhole - you'll get a neat wide angle anamorphic image.

You can also try placing the pinhole in the center of the lid, instead of on the side. Wrap the negative all the way around the inside, like a cylinder, and you'll get a true anamorphic image.

Experiment & have fun.

PS: see f295.org for more pinhole ideas.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by annam
    oh, sorry about the multiple posts. this is my first time in a chat room.
    yes, unexposed paper, under a safe light in the darkroom. i feel so silly because i have done this every year and it has not worked this year or last.
    Folks,

Anna has done this before.

She simply over-posted the first time and raised a hornet's nest of interest!

If she is correct in how she handled the paper (and she says she's done this before with no problems) then I am guessing that the paper was exposed before she got it.

Meanwhile, your various diagnoses have given me a quick into to pinhole photography (espescially via a Quaker Oats box).

And also show what a fine bunch of gentlemen you are in coming to the aid of a lady in distress!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, we aim to please!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin