Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,327   Posts: 1,537,003   Online: 1188

Shooter
    Medium Format

zero image - minimum focus distance

I recently purchased a Zero Image 69 camera. By it's simplicity, a new form of creativity is now bouncing around in my mind. So, I'm wondering, with an effective f/stop of 235... how close can I get to the subject matter in the foreground and retain focus?

SusanK

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I have used mine as close as 18". This is likely not the near limit.
    Jim
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think there is a "focal length" per se - you will have diffraction effects that will limit your sharpness anyway - and the length from the pinhole to the film and the diameter of the hole will just determine your image crop.

Why not just shoot some extreme close ups and see what you get?
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Why not try shooting something one inch away and report back to us.

It's a great camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An inch or two is good

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanK View Post
    I recently purchased a Zero Image 69 camera. By it's simplicity, a new form of creativity is now bouncing around in my mind. So, I'm wondering, with an effective f/stop of 235... how close can I get to the subject matter in the foreground and retain focus?

SusanK
    I remember reading somewhere (forget where, sorry!) that the depth of field of a pinhole camera is from infinity to whatever the focal length of the "lens" is. So on my Zero Image 2000 which has a 25mm (1") focal length, the d-o-f is from infinity to 25mm in front of the pinhole.
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Pinhole
    The focal length of the Zero 6x9 is 40mm, or about an inch and a half. Anything from the pinhole to infinity will get recorded and, in one sense, be in focus. If the photographed object is closer to the pinhole than the focal length, it will be magnified, and will appear softer or fuzzier than the the portions of the image that are farther away. A good rule of thumb for this camera would be to photograph objects that are at least 40mm away from the camera to retain equal clarity throughout the image.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Pinholemaster gives the most practical advice for your photography. A properly designed pinhole camera is noticably sharpest at a certain distance. Judging from the published specifications, the Zero 6x9 is optimized for fairly close subjects. Extremely close subjects will be much less sharp. This quality can be used creatively, though.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin