Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,425   Online: 793

Shooter
    Pinhole

Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day 2007

Dear Fellow Pinhole Photographer,

The coordinators of the seventh Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day are busy preparing for this upcoming major global festival. It will be the traditional last Sunday in April; the next one will be April 29, 2007. Anyone, anywhere in the world, who makes a pinhole photograph on Pinhole Day, can scan the image and upload it to the www.pinholeday.org website where it will become part of this premier gallery of lenless photography.

Last year, 2267 participants from 60 countries contributed images to the WPPD 2006 Gallery. Over 100 events - workshops, exhibits, lectures, etc. - were held throughout the world. All of these events were coordinated by volunteers.

If you don't have this celebration marked on your calendar please do it soon! Join the world in this joyous celebration of simple photography.

Watch the www.pinholeday.org website for more information.

HOW YOU CAN HELP...
    - We are looking for help with our publicity efforts in various countries and regions. These local or regional coordinators would be part of the team that our Publicity Coordinator, Stefano Piva, is assembling to spread the word about our sublime, yet joyously wacky, annual pinhole exhibit. Mostly this would be emails to publications, schools, galleries, etc, in your area. If you would like to help with this effort, please contact publicity@pinholeday.org.

- If you'd like to organize an event, such as a workshop, lecture or a photo "shoot", you can add it to the events calendar at www.pinholeday.org/events or contact events@pinholeday.org. An event can be a simple as a pinhole excursion with friends or interested photographers, or it can be a workshop or exhibit. Check the "Workshop Planning Guide" on the Pinhole Day Resource page for ideas.

- If you are a teacher, your students can participate in WPPD as a group. To do this, enter your class's participation as an event at http://www.pinholeday.org/events/addevent.php. Choose "classroom" as the type of event. Your class will be listed as a "group" in the gallery. When your class is selected from the group list, it will create a virtual exhibit of your students' work.

- If you are a graphic designer... we're interested in suggestions for a new, or alternative, logos. Please submit your ideas to support@pinholeday.org.

We have two new members of the coordinating team. A welcome to Jason Schlauch, our new webmaster. He is taking the reigns from Gregg Kemp, who designed, built and maintained the website since the first celebration. Many thanks to Gregg for his dedication over the years. The website is the hub of Pinhole Day activity, and it is wonderful that Jason is organizing this critical area. A welcome to our new education coordiator, Chuck Flagg, taking over for long-time coordinator Rosanne Stutts. Chuck is a high-school art teacher who incorporates pinhole into his students' activities and who has been active in the online pinhole community.

Another major holiday is in the works for April 29, 2007! We all look forward to your photograph in the 2007 gallery.

WPPD 2007 Coordinating Team
    Tom Miller (Lead - USA)
    Nick Dvoracek (Support - USA)
    Chuck Flagg (Education - USA)
    Tom Persinger (Events - USA)
    Stefano Piva (Publicity - Italia)
    Jason Schlauch (Webmaster - USA)
    Wolfgang Thoma (Translations - Belgium)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I participated in 2004 I think through a workshop at the Australian Centre for Photography where we built a camera exposed paper negs and printed in the course of the day. A lot of fun and I still have my wide angle shoebox special. Not sure if ACP plans to run something again this year but it may be worth a quick email to the workshop co-ordinators?
    http://www.acp.au.com/information/contact.php

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is kewl. I've known about this for a while. Maybe we can start a World Pinhole Photography Day Print Exchange? I can organize it here in APUG if there is a link and write up on the WPPD website?

I know the World Toy Camera Day Print Exchange wasn't too successful, but maybe this one would be better. Ever the optimist. Actually I'm looking for a decent excuse to use my DayLab 4x5 Pinhole Camera I bought last Year.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Oops! The correct link for entering events is:
    http://www.pinholeday.org/events/index.php?pid=post

My apologies for the confusion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    This is kewl. I've known about this for a while. Maybe we can start a World Pinhole Photography Day Print Exchange? I can organize it here in APUG if there is a link and write up on the WPPD website?

I know the World Toy Camera Day Print Exchange wasn't too successful, but maybe this one would be better. Ever the optimist. Actually I'm looking for a decent excuse to use my DayLab 4x5 Pinhole Camera I bought last Year.

Regards, Art.
    Now that sounds like fun. My Pergo-pinhole is loaded and ready.

K.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've participated a couple of times previously and can recommended it highly.
    My only problem this year will be deciding whether to use my Minhole (minox 8x11mm film cassette box) or Horsehole (Horseman 980 with pinhole panel).
    I cannot remember whether the 'group' field in the pinhole day database was a free form field or had to be 'pre-registered', but it would be good to have 'APUG.org' in there for those of us not already participating in a group (bit of publicity for Sean as well).

Art, re. the print exchange, I'm not that familiar with how these work but I'm wondering if the Toy Camera Day one didn't take off because people think print exchanges are only for top quality exhibition standard prints, and fun, one chance only images from toy cameras (or a home made pinholes) may not meet these expectations ? I think if it was made clear that it's just for fun and you may end up getting an abstract completely overexposed paper neg, or if you're really lucky a pinhole masterpiece from Bill Schwab (or an abstract overexposed paper neg from Bill Schwab ) there may be more participation. I'm assuming here the exchange would involve sending the same image you submitted to World Pinholeday to a randomly selected participant and recieving one similar print from another ? Anyway, if these were the terms I'm in.

Any chance of this thread being made sticky until May to keep it more visible to passing potential participants ?

Crispin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am in.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by crispinuk View Post
    Art, re. the print exchange, I'm not that familiar with how these work but I'm wondering if the Toy Camera Day one didn't take off because people think print exchanges are only for top quality exhibition standard prints, and fun, one chance only images from toy cameras (or a home made pinholes) may not meet these expectations ?
    Hi Crispin,

My comments around the Toy Camera exchange was directed at the fact people who signed up didn't send their prints (without a reason) as they were suppose to.

A print exchange is where people who sign up are grouped together and then they send a print to other people in their group. It isn't meant for master printers, but people of all levels. In fact one of the advantages is where newbie printers get sage advice from experienced printers. So it's for fun and learning.

The other reason is that until recently, there hasn't been a dedicated Toy Camera sub-forum, so most people with Toy Cameras are at ToyCamera.com. They had a very vibrant print exchange over Christmas.
    I think if it was made clear that it's just for fun and you may end up getting an abstract completely overexposed paper neg, or if you're really lucky a pinhole masterpiece from Bill Schwab (or an abstract overexposed paper neg from Bill Schwab ) there may be more participation.
    Yes that's exactly the reason for the exchange - fun and learning.
    I'm assuming here the exchange would involve sending the same image you submitted to World Pinholeday to a randomly selected participant and recieving one similar print from another ? Anyway, if these were the terms I'm in.
    There are many types of exchanges. What you described is 'blind' exchange. Go to this thread to sign up for the WPPD Print Exchange, which will be a 'group' exchange: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum185/...up-thread.html and sign up if you are still interested. I hope you do sign up!

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Overexposed and Pinhole Day

Our group* will surely take part. We have already started constructing the cameras and testing them. Thank you for the invitation.

*: http://www.overexposed.drosia.gr/index1.htm

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by crispinuk View Post
    I cannot remember whether the 'group' field in the pinhole day database was a free form field or had to be 'pre-registered', but it would be good to have 'APUG.org' in there for those of us not already participating in a group (bit of publicity for Sean as well). Crispin
    The "group ID" for Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day is pre-assigned. When an event, like a workshop, forum or classroom participation is registered, the Event Coordinator creates a group ID. Group IDs are listed in a drop-down on the photo submission form. You can select one when submitting a photo to the WPPD gallery.
    http://www.pinholeday.org/events/index.php?pid=post

Questions or requests? events@pinholeday.org; support@pinholeday.org or tom@pinholeday.org

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin