Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,644   Online: 749

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Shutter question.

I have been looking at the 8 Banners website and I am intrigued by their cameras, but I don't quite understand - from appearance alone (there is no actual description) - how their shutter works. I don't see a screw mount for a cable release so must it be tripped by hand? I noticed from an earlier thread that a number of people on here purchased 8Banners cameras so any description on how (and how well) the shutter works would be appreciated. Thanks.

<todd>

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Push the green lever, and the shutter opens. Push the red lever and it closes. Not so good for fast shutter speeds like 1/4 second with 400 speed film in daylight.

This is better:

That said it is probably the last time I will buy a shutter, instead I will make my own.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It's a bit awkward since you have to set the camera down to take the picture, then use both hands to open and close the shutter (assuming a short exposure) without getting your fingers in the picture.

Nevertheless I've had no problems and the shutter seems more robust than I would have guessed from just looking at the pictures.

The shorter exposures have caused me no problems. Generally short exposures are only an issue with zone plates; pinholes have much smaller openings and require longer exposures. Negative film (especially color film) is pretty forgiving of overexposure. It's pretty hard to get an exposure of less than a second using just your fingers, but I've run through a half dozen rolls to date and haven't overexposed anything yet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was getting motion blur from the camera moving before the cable release mod shown above. Even the 4+ second exposures were not as sharp as they should have been.

Other people have suggested tieing string to each lever, pull on one to open, the other to close.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    It looks like their newest shutter has a built in cable release socket and a single shutter lever. I think I may wait until hat i standard on their cameras before buying one. Thanks for the info.

<todd>

<<I was getting motion blur from the camera moving before the cable release mod shown above. Even the 4+ second exposures were not as sharp as they should have been.

Other people have suggested tieing string to each lever, pull on one to open, the other to close.>>

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Any suggestions for alternatives to the 8banners T shutter?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    lens cap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Speed-i-o-scope

replace the glass with a sheet of aluminum and a pinhole...

Why do I say this? I have enough Speed-i-o-scopes
    to last me a lifetime and you can drive the price up all you want.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin