Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,959   Posts: 1,558,156   Online: 1216

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I used the tip of a small sewing needle. Aperture with the 11mm f/l is about f90 or so.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh, and to avoid tin foil rolling up inside the box as a result of the puncture, I rolled the needle back and forth in my fingers until it just finally pierced the foil.

I'll post a pic as soon as my husbandly/fatherly duties dictate the opportunity.
    Last edited by Christopher Walrath; 08-29-2007 at 04:15 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Adding info without adding another post
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cafeharrar View Post
    How does one make such a small pinhole? I am thinking of making one of these today!

- Justin
    you can use small hobby drill too. i began using them with great success. google up the sizes. i forget off the top of my head.

eddie
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Shooter
    Medium Format
    http://www.smallparts.com has number drills. The sizes are listed in a chart, and you will probably want a number higher than about #60. The higher the number, the smaller the hole.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The smallest drill you are likely to find is a number 80 which is 0.0135 inches/0.3429 mm in diameter -- and pretty scary to work with! The other problem with drills is they may not leave a clean edge, especially unless you have some sort of high speed precision drill press to use them in. Many normal sized drill chucks can't even grip drills that small. I have used a pin vise chucked in a larger drill press but there's little sensitivity to tell how hard it's being loaded.

In theory, pushing a bump into thin stock with a needle, then sanding in a circular pattern with extremely fine sandpaper can create a relatively clean hole with a knife edge, a sort of optimum optical situation. And of course, it is about as inexpensive as you can get.

I used to have some of those very small drills (some in solid carbide even) for use on circuit boards, but most long ago went the way of tiny fragile things spinning at high speeds under less than ideal conditions.

DaveT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Small parts has expensive stepped versions of the number drills with a much larger shank. But much smaller than a #80 would be really difficult.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin