Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,471   Online: 866
      
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    smieglitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,864
    Images
    97

    Film for making zone plates?

    I used to make zone plates by photographing the concentric pattern at various magnifications with Kodak Technical Pan film and then contact printing that onto Kodalith or Ortho Litho. With the demise of Tech Pan, what would be an available super fine-grained 35mm b/w film still on the market to use as a substitute?

    I'm also thinking I may just be able to photograph onto lith film directly though it may be more difficult to nail the correct exposure without blocking up the pattern.

    Thoughts?

    Joe

  2. #2
    donbga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz View Post
    I used to make zone plates by photographing the concentric pattern at various magnifications with Kodak Technical Pan film and then contact printing that onto Kodalith or Ortho Litho. With the demise of Tech Pan, what would be an available super fine-grained 35mm b/w film still on the market to use as a substitute?

    I'm also thinking I may just be able to photograph onto lith film directly though it may be more difficult to nail the correct exposure without blocking up the pattern.

    Thoughts?

    Joe
    Joe,

    Oddly enough I was thinking about doing this myself the other day. Perhaps TMAX 100 could be used instead.
    Don Bryant

  3. #3
    Ole
    Ole is offline
    Ole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Bergen, Norway
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    9,281
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    31
    Something like Rollei ORTHO 25, perhaps? That has the added advantage of a clear film base, so there's no extra light loss.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

  4. #4
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,608
    Images
    122
    If you have the zone plate pattern in a CAD or graphics program format, it may be better to send it out for photo plotting to graphic arts film.

    This would give a more dense black on a clear film with no mid tones. It is the type of film we (at work) use to expose our screen printing emulsions with.

    I did draw up a zone plate once but did not get round to having it made into film.


    Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

  5. #5
    smieglitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,864
    Images
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga View Post
    Joe,

    Oddly enough I was thinking about doing this myself the other day. Perhaps TMAX 100 could be used instead.
    Don,

    The pdf files here for a a 75mm zone plate at 100x or 25x images of 59mm and 75mm zoneplates and zonesieves may be of some use. These are both from the Stanford site pages on pinhole photography.

    I'm teaching an alt course this semester and want the class to make some zone plates so the above should be very helpful. I'd like to try out the zonesieve myself having never done so previously.

    Joe

    p.s., Here's a zone plate smiley:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16pxzp.jpg  

  6. #6
    nicolai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA, US
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    190

  7. #7
    Murray@uptowngallery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Holland, MI
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Posts
    1,028
    Chris Ellinger on the other side of the state is making them. He sent me one, but I don't know what it's on...

    I'll see if I have an email address & PM you.
    Murray

  8. #8
    DarkroomDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Enumclaw, WA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    239
    Images
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray@uptowngallery View Post
    Chris Ellinger on the other side of the state is making them. He sent me one, but I don't know what it's on...

    I'll see if I have an email address & PM you.
    Chris does incredible work with zone plates I have one of his prints, Twilight Tents, hanging on the wall here over my desk

    Take a look at his web site http://www.ellingerphoto.com/ZPX.html

    He also can be found on the B&W Zone Plate forum over at f295.

    Dan
    Daniel Williams
    Enumclaw WA USA

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    495
    This from one of yesterday's posts re: Tech Pan replacement

    http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documenta...lisch_mail.pdf

    Bob

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hollis, NH
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    732
    Images
    3
    I would think Gigabit, Bluefire Police, or ADOX CM20 film would work as well as tech pan for this application.



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin