Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,131   Online: 1157

Shooter
    Medium Format

printing 24 x 45mm negative

Good evening,
    I've just received a new Zero Image 135 pinhole camera. I love it, works fine, fun, everything is great. When you remove the internal blocks that opens the format up to 24 x 45mm from the original 24 x 36mm format, you end up with a beautiful negative without vignetting, wonderful in every way. BUT I can't find any place that knows how to print a 24 x 45mm negative! All the firms around here use some model or another of Noritsu printers and none have a negative carrier? (old school talk) for this format. Yes I can make a carrier for my enlarger at home, but I'd like to produce some color prints. This format enlarges nicely to 3 1/8" x 6".
    Has anyone experienced this printing problem? Any Ideas?
    With thanks,
    sam H.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Obviously a negative like this can easily be hand-printed using a 6x6 cm or larger enlarger and a glass negative carrier. I could imagine, on the other hand, that the volume of panoramic negs being sent to amateur d+p plants is vanishingly small - you do not say where you live, I think your options amount to digital scanning or sending your negs to a pro lab in a large city, which will sadly charge you a relatively large amount of money for hand prints. You will not, I think, get cheap machine prints for the reason you describe - the machines can't handle them!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good morning David, I am on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, near Ocean City. 100 miles SE of Washington DC.

I have a scanner, but do not scan. I need to learn to use this machine. Scanning is a very good idea.

Sam H

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There may be a way to do it on the Noritsu. I use one in the lab I work in, and the 35mm carrier can handle 126 film with square frames, you just have to ignore that it tells you the sprockets are messed up. It may even be possible to run your 24x45 on the 120 carrier, I will look in to it for you!

- Justin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you Justin.
    Sam

It seems amazing to me that the Zero image camera company would design a camera for a format with a unheard of film aperture (24mm x 45mm), that one would have to manufacture a custom negative carrier to produce prints. Or for that matter could not be printed easily by current state of the art commercial printers.
    When you start getting into 6 x 9 cm or 6 x 12 cm OR 6 x 18 cm, one is not in the mainstream norm for Kiosk prints, but getting prints made from 35mm film, I'm surprised. I have to wonder why Zernike Au designed such or what he invisioned. Perhaps it was scanning. I think I shall write him, I've made myself curious. If I get a response, I'll post it.
    All the best,
    Sam

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Hotton View Post
    It seems amazing to me that the Zero image camera company would design a camera for a format with a unheard of film aperture (24mm x 45mm), that one would have to manufacture a custom negative carrier to produce prints. Or for that matter could not be printed easily by current state of the art commercial printers.
    The situation is of course the same for any true panoramic camera that uses 35 mm film and gives a full-height longer-than-usual format instead of a normal-length reduced-height one. Examples include Horizon and Mamiya 7 with adapter. The (possibly incorrect) assumption is that cameras like this will be used by enthusiasts with facilities to do their own processing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good morning David,
    The Noritsu machine at my local D&P will handle my Horizon pans edge to edge without problem. It has several pan channels in it from the factory.

David said "The (possibly incorrect) assumption is that cameras like this will be used by enthusiasts with facilities to do their own processing".

You might be right David, I don't have a problem with enlarging B&W in any size negative up to 8x10 as I'm sure most folks here are very well equipted. I just wonder how many folks that buy a 35mm pinhole camera enlarge with a 2 1/4 enlarger and wet print their color. Perhaps it is for the modern enthusiast that scan their negs. But wouldn't you still need a custom carrier in 24 x 45mm for your scanner?
    Sam
    Last edited by Samuel Hotton; 10-02-2007 at 12:45 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: To add furthur information

Shooter
    Medium Format

Message from Zernike Au of Zero Image.

1. Most people scan the negative, you can send them to a lab or scan it
    by yourself, then you can print it out with your own printer or send it
    to a lab for printing.

2. Or make the print at darkroom if you have one.

Please feel free to contact me again if you need a further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Zernike Au
    Zero Image Co.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I can scan anything up to the equivalent of 6 frames of 35mm film long with my scanner so strange formats are not a problem. Even on my previous scanner that scanned film that was possible. (sorry to go d******* on the thread). Picture Printing machines seem to be getting "clever" so my holga panoramas really screwed up the lab I normally send my stuff too. Took an extra week or so of them trying to figure out what to do with the "pan-x format" stuff. Major points to them for finally getting some sort of "contact sheet" out of it, though.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I am wondering if the labs you asked even tried to print the negatives? I spoke with my lab manager and she informed me that there should be no problem printing 35mm negatives with weird frame sizes on the Noritsu. If worse comes to worse they can try running it through the 120 carrier, which is what we do for odd format (ie. 127 etc...) negatives, as long as they will physically fit the carrier. Let me know if they have tried.

- Justin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin