Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,999   Posts: 1,524,324   Online: 746

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ummm, develop the film? Go ahead and just develop the TMY in your "usual" manner. Then evaluate the negatives on their ease of printing and shadow detail.

FYI, I've been using a Pyrocat for most film lately and with pinhole images, they seem a bit "creamier" than usual. This is entirely subjective and I have NOT done a side-by-side comparison to say Rodinal or D76 of the same scene exposed and developed to the same densities.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Yeah, I was thinking...NOW WHAT?
    ..."You tell us...'
    What do you see?

"Show us, please".

I'm indoors more than out, so I spend more time on the spreadsheets than seeing how they work in practice!

So I look forward to seeing/hearing your conclusions.
    Murray

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    OK. I see a few things. Grain is kinda cool. Using HC110 Dil B as usual for me , if you can call seven rolls ever usual. Two exposures I did first came out dark in the neg, overexposed. The tests shows good negative density value V at numbers near what Murray gave me originally. Called for one minute. Good density at between 1 1/2 min and two. Cool perspective angles at the corner edges of the images. And very wide angle of view, approx 65 degrees at 27mm 'focal' length. I'm gonna go with (at f/256) recommended 1 sec, expose 1 sec (EV16). Rec 2 sec, exp 2.6 sec (EV15). Rec 4 sec, exp 5.6 sec(EV14). Rec 8 sec, exp 12 sec(EV13). Rec 15 sec, exp 25 sec (EV12). Rec 30 sec, exp 53 sec (EV11). Rec 60 sec, exp 115 (EV10). Rec 120 sec, exp 240 sec (EV9). Rec 240 sec, exp 510 sec (EV8). These numbers are right in line, as suggested by Murray, with Kodak's numbers for TMX. 'Nuff said. Time to go lensless. Thanks, guys.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

HP5+ Reciprocity

So, I went out to take some test photos with my new Zero Image 6x9 loaded with Ilford HP5+. I followed the instructions on the metering, added the reciprocity and used my cell phone to count the time. Unfortunately, the negatives came out not just bulletproof, but able to withstand a nuclear holocaust and the film went straight to the bin. So, I must have overexposed. A lot.
    I used the table for reciprocity from here:
    http://mkaz.com/photo/tools/reciprocity.html
    I also have Way Beyond Monochrome that has a table with very different values and that was confusing.

For example, a scene that gave me with a incident meter of 30 degrees viewing angle 1 minute, I exposed it for four and seven minutes and that was too much. So the table must be wrong. Unfortunately I am not good a math so I will need your help.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    (Without looking at the charts) But as a hint to the general ballpark - I used HP5+ a few years back with a pinhole approaching f350 and my exposures were in the 5 to 20 second range outdoors on a cloudy, dreary day. In fact, I ended up moving to Delta 100 because in bright sun, the exposure times with HP5+ were too short (under 3 seconds) to time accurately with a manual "flap" shutter.

Even last year with Delta 100 and an f250 pinhole I only reached exposures up to maybe 90 seconds, and that was in deep woods by a waterfall. (And Delta 100 has a pretty steep reciprocity failure.)

You didn't describe the scene, but if it was outdoors in daytime, I'm inclined to wonder about the initial value of 1 minute.

My 2 cents,

DaveT -- cognizant that WPPD 2008 is only 4 weeks away!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What I did is point the pinhole at the general direction of a building at midday with a bit of a cloudy sky and took a reading with a Sekonic Twinmate L208 meter (incident, 30 degrees). It gave me a reading of 1/60th at f5.6 of ISO 400, which with the exposure disc at the pinhole converted to one minute at f250. One minute according to the chart equals seven with reciprocity, so I had the shutter open for four and seven minutes. Other exposures that were converted to f250 and 30 secs, were done at one and two minutes.
    All the film came out almost completely black at the dense frames but not at unexposed areas which meant it didn't have a light leak or something of the sort.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [(250 / 5.6) ^ 2] / 60 = 33 seconds

It seems that your exposure tests between 30 and 60 seconds should have worked reasonably well, I think 80 would be about where the reciprocity curve would land you.

It sounds like there may be something wrong with the camera and it has such a massive light leak you are fogging the whole roll?

Easy test for a light leak is to put in some film or if you don't want to waste it, cut some B&W paper to fit in where the film plane is (do this under safe light obviously). Then take the camera out in the bright sun and leave it sit for several minutes, shutter closed. Try a test with the camera facing the sun, then fresh pieces of test paper and the sun on the right, the left and then the back.

If there are no light leaks, the paper should be base white when you develop. Throw in a scrap straight from the black bag that has never seen light as a control.

Follow-up thought : does the Zero have a red window on the back for checking the exposure number on the paper? Try covering that with a bit of black tape or maybe make a trap door of some black matte board.

Second follow-up thought : could you run some of the HP5+ from the same batch through a known, good camera? Perhaps something bad has happened to the film?

Third follow-up thought : Sunny-16 calculation for your exposure assuming F250 would have been [(250 / 16) ^ 2] / 400 = 0.6 seconds. You are describing something that might have been one stop less so 1.2 seconds. Perhaps your meter is out of whack? Batteries?
    Last edited by rwyoung; 03-27-2008 at 03:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah, anything with an aperture of around f/256 and a ONE second exposure is an exposure value of EV16. Bright sunny day with ANY film at f/256 and anything over about 5 seconds is gonna wash out.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin