Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,701   Posts: 1,482,639   Online: 739

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a old 8 X 10 camera with a 300mm lens. I am going to make a new lens board for it and use either a Lenox Laser pinhole or a Zoneplate. Perhaps both. Am not sure what mm to use. Any thoughts about what to buy?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Ann,

I am trying my hand at this too with a homemade 4X5 box camera. Here is a site that will help you determine the pinhole size:

http://www.mrpinhole.com/holesize.php

The laser pinhole sounds interesting. The link should allow you to calculate the pinhole size based on the focal length etc.

Regards,
    John

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    thanks that is helpful. I have a Zero 6 X9 that is fun. This is great fun to "clean out the cobwebs". Several of my students do a lot of 4 x 5 images on a handmade camera we loving call the "bird House".
    THere is another Art Center in town that has a weekend session making a 4 x 5 camera. They are really lovely and well finished. I have thought about building one just for fun, but it doesn't make sense as my equipment list is tooooooo long . Hard to use what I have now let along making something.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm from the school of 'make it yourself' pinholeing, so I'd suggest making that lensboard so that it could hold a homemade pinhole (made from a piece of soda can)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a few pinholes. For my 8x10, it is "rated" at 300mm or 12 inch focal (working) length and f/333 aperture. So, figuring that the aperture is the focal length divided by the f/stop, it works out to 300mm/333=0.90091mm diameter. If you want that in inches, it is 12 inches/333=0.0360 inch diameter.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin