Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,947   Online: 1019

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Filters in front of or behind pinhole?

Is there a difference where the filter is placed. For my application it would be easier to tape it inside the camera.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That would preclude moving the camera by bumping it while holding a filter in front of it. Whatever is easiest, go for it. Never occured to me before to place on behind the pinhole but I'll have to store that one for later.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried a filter behind the pinhole of my Zone Zero 6x6 and every bit of dust and scratches appeared in the print, a little fuzzy but there none the less. This might ad to the aura of the image, depending on what you are after.
    Just my experience with this.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I have used a red filter inside my Santa Barbara Pinhole camera (4x5 75mm) with great results. I put two strips of double sided scotch tape on either side of the hole and just stuck a 49mm screw in filter on it. Easy to put on or take off. I did it that way because the shutter on the camera is just a cork-like plug.

Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails river-to-sea.jpg   Mercedpg.jpg  
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks, It didn't occur to me about the dust issue. I will make sure it is a clean filter going on. The double back tape is a good idea to. It is the bumping of the camera I'm trying to keep from happening by placing it behind the hole.

Jon can I assume the attachments are the pictures you described?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Yes, these were taken with the red filter held in place with the double sided scotch tape, 3 to 5 minute exposures, but the negs are a little dense.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Empty slide carriers are a great holder for gel filters, and you can make a little drop-in slot inside behind the p-hole.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can also buy a cheap used/broken filter and attach that to the outside or inside of a pinhole camera permanently. As long as the threads on that are good, you can use it to attach any threaded filters of the same size that you might have on hand. There are also threaded gel holders that you could attach in this way.

In studio, I used to always attach gels to the back of the lens inside the view cameras for color correction. This kept the gels clean, away from fingerprints and settling dust, and out of the direct line of sight to lights. Voss and others made such holders, which gripped the back of the lens with a spring metal clamp padded with rubber. You could stack multiple gels in them for critical color balance.

Lee

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I glued a wratten #8 filter right in front of, and in touch with the pinhole. No dust problems, but strange lightrays coming in from different directions, sometimes even without the sun being in front of the camera. Not always an adding feature as it is totally unpredictible.

Gr.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

thanks

Thanks guys ... this thread has been interesting to read.
    I've attached a deep red inside my Zero 4x5 when using IR film, but so far the results are not as expected and I'll need to greatly modify my exposure times.
    Follow the Light John 8:12
    ~~~PhotoBob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin