Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,579   Posts: 1,545,750   Online: 957

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I view it this way. Pointing it almost directly into the sun something is bound to happen. I'm not particularly displeased with this result, just a learning curve and how to avoid it in the future.

I'm sure that there is something on the walls inside the pinhole itself that's causing reflection. I'll try the sooty candle method to improve it.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Lightspray

It is possible to exclude the sun BARELY and if your pinhole is exceptionally well made, a knife sharp edge can separate the spectrum just as a diffraction grating.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lightspray.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My avatar image is one example of pinhole sun flare. It's from a Zero Image 6x6 camera.
    Benno Jones
    Seattle, WA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Well, I view it this way. Pointing it almost directly into the sun something is bound to happen. I'm not particularly displeased with this result, just a learning curve and how to avoid it in the future.

I'm sure that there is something on the walls inside the pinhole itself that's causing reflection. I'll try the sooty candle method to improve it.

- Thomas
    When you do, I'd like to know what the results look like. My suspicion is that there may be an improvement in one way and a degradation in another. Soot is particulate, which accumulates on the metal and around and inside the hole. If you don't mind your images more fuzzy...

The best way to blacken the hole (IMHO) is to make it in pure silver and tone it. I prefer to use selenium. However, even without toning, it will blacken over time (you know, tarnish). The black, if done this way, doesn't modify the character of the hole at all, except to kill reflections, since it is a very thin layer of silver selenide or sulphide that is made using the atoms of silver itself on the surface.

Not everyone is that fussy about their pinholes, though, so you might not be as fanatical about it as I am.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. When I get around to trying soot, I'll let you know if I remember. I don't mind fuzzy. I dislike the weird reflections. Sounds like a win win to me...

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin