Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,551   Posts: 1,573,120   Online: 752

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pinhole into the sun?

Is the attached image what I can expect when I point a pinhole virtually directly into the sun?

Thanks,

- Thomas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2008-09_27-08 APUG Oberg.jpg  
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd say you're doing very well in terms of flare and have a good pinhole with even round edges.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Here's an example of pinhole flare from 4x5 Pinhole camera.

Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mercedwb.jpg  
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 09-26-2008 at 08:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for posting guys. So, to answer my question - is it abnormal what I see?

- Thomas

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    You mean the dark vertical areas? It doesn't happen with my pinhole camera. Is it some type of homemade camera?

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, exactly. That's what I'm referring to (sorry, I was in la-la land, not thinking to explain what I'm talking about).
    No, it's a ZeroImage2000 6x6 camera. I only get that effect when I point the camera straight into the sun. I thought I didn't have to deal with flare since there isn't a lens, but was curious if something else would show up instead...

- Thomas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is a frame from the same roll that was pointing away from the sun. Nice, sharp, and no anomalies.

- Thomas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2008-09_27-11 APUG Oberg.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The area upon which the rays of the sun appear might have some influence. I've attached a Zero Image 4x5 pic which worked out not so badly. In my case probably pure luck, as so often with my pinhole pictures.

It was mid morning and I was not particularly conscious of the sun's position.

My point is that Zero Image's pinholes are fairly regular.

Regards - Ross
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bowenfels 2.jpg  

Shooter
    Pinhole
    The differences between individual pinholes show up the most when pointing the camera directly at the sun. The ideal pinhole is a two-dimensional, round aperture; practical pinholes are three-dimensional, shallow 'tunnels' and are not necessarily close to perfectly round. In addition, the material the pinhole is made from, and any coatings on the inside walls of the hole, all contribute to how much, and the quality of, light flare present in the image.

I've heard that Zero Image pinholes are pretty good quality. There's also EMS electron microscope apertures, which some folks over at F295 are using in homemade cameras, and these appear to be at least as good as the Zero Image pinholes.

My homemade pinholes vary widely in quality, depending on how much time I want to spend in trying to make a near-ideal pinhole.

For coating the inside surface of the the pinhole tunnel, some sources recommend the ideal coating is blackening them with soot from a smokey candle, which is almost pure carbon; others use black marker pens.

Of course, the fun part about pinhole is that all this doesn't have to be so technically perfect. We can get all kinds of funky light flare, and still enjoy the images the camera delivers. It's all good.

~Joe
    Last edited by Joe VanCleave; 09-27-2008 at 12:05 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Writing is 90% editing

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Damn that North shore, it's claimed yet another negative! Not sure I can resolve your problem, but I wonder if there is the potential for internal reflections on anything inside that camera?
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin