Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,322   Posts: 1,536,878   Online: 1097

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hi-Res scans (100% crops) of three pinholes

Too much time on my hands, I guess. Tonight I laid three pinholes on my flatbed film scanner at 6400 dpi. 100% crops are attached. The ragged one I just punched in a piece of exposed 35mm film. The homemade one is made from 0.002" brass shim stock, and the Skink is a factory 0.2mm laser-cut job. I was curious as to how the home made one for my Nikon D200 (which is about 0.3mm and works great) would stack up against the laser cut $15 job from Skink (purchased for my Zorki-6 Leica copy). Actually, it turned out pretty good, but I have no idea how much sharpness I'm losing because of the non-perfect "roundness". I'll find out soon, because I have a laser-cut 0.3mm on order.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails film pinhole 100% crop.jpg   Homemade Nikon D200 pinhole 100% crop.jpg   skink .2mm laser pinhole 100% crop .jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format

New pinholes received from Skink

UPDATE: Here are 6400 dpi scans (100% crops) of the three new pinholes I received from Skink. First one is a standard 0.3mm, second is the 13-zone plate, third is their 19-zone sieve. I'll try to post comparative photos taken with all three in my D200 soon. I can see where they got the "13-zone" name, but with the myriad of holes involved, I'm not sure where the "19-hole" sieve name came from.

FWIW, the "lens mount" I received for using these is VERY nicely and accurately machined stainless steel, and fits my D200 perfectly. Quite a difference from my home made plastic body cover pinhole mount, but of course there is quite a difference in price, too. Skink's pinholes are easy to change, takes only seconds using a ball point pen for a tool. The central screw-in plate that holds the pinholes centered is also threaded, and screws into the main threaded lens mount, which means the overall focal length is adjustable in/out by a few mm. Supposedly when all plates are adjusted flush with the mount the focal length is 45mm. I don't know what if any effect moving the focal length in or out would have on the images, but I'll experiment with it and see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails skink 0.3mm.jpg   skink 13-zone plate.jpg   skink 19-hole sieve.jpg  
    Last edited by picker77; 03-17-2009 at 08:31 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    35mm
    Very cool. I did a similar thing by chucking my piece of perforated pop can in my enlarger and picking which hole appeared most round. I'm very interested in the pictures you get with the zone plates.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin