Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,005   Online: 902

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries

Better contrast less focus?

Hello!

I made a pinhole for my Toyo Field camera and while it works well, it actually works too well insome respects and poorly in others...

How can I get more contrast in my exposures? Only through development?

Also, the images are surprisingly evenly exposed across the 4X5 sheet and are actually too sharp for my taste..
    Should I use the camera movements to influence focus? How can I make my sheet film less evenly exposed?

Tom

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

The two simplest ways to generally acheive more contrast are to over develop or underexpose. Increased developing will retain more silver thus causing greater negative density. But across the whole of the image. Lowering exposure will place the subject into the lower zones where there is more seperation of values, again, across the whole image. And PH just makes it even trickier to boot.
    Last edited by Christopher Walrath; 04-21-2009 at 12:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin