Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,403   Online: 755

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NW Wisconsin hard by the shore of Lake Superior
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

4 X 5 camera & Fuji Instant Film

Also posted in the large format forum:

Hello, I want to play around with the 4 x 5 instant films offered by Fuji, but need a camera. Initially thought to get a press camera, ( have a feeler out on a Busch Press camera) but then started thinking about a pinhole camera. I suppose the press camera would give me more options, but the idea of a nice pinhole camera is interesting. I've grown weary of the digital merry-go-round, always chasing the latest techno-whiz-bang wonder cams. Now wanting simplicity... I'd gladly trade my new Pentax K20D for a decent press or field camera..... If you were in my shoes where would you start???

Thanks, John
    Never met a camera I didn't like...
    Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/j9fingers/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, if you go the 4x5 route, you can always make a new lensboard for it to mount a pinhole and have the best of both worlds!

DaveT

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I will probably do both. Get a Busch Pressman D or Meridian 45B in good shape and the 4 X 5 pinhole camera from Zero Image. Now I have to sell my Pentax DSLR gear and get back to basics.....

John

Shooter
    35mm
    Perhaps you missed Dave's point: Turning a spare lens board for any 4x5 camera into a pinhole device is fast, easy, cheap and a lot more compact.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hello Venchka, I saw Dave's post but was in the middle of a deal for a medium format camera. So the 4 X 5 press camera will have to wait while I get accustomed to my Mamiya Universal Press. I could rig a cap and use this camera as a pinhole in the near future.... Regards...... John

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I love the packfilm size of that film. I've been shooting it with that polaroid mamiya frankencamera they sold a while back and I'm very impressed. It gives me the look of a fresh 35mm negative scan without the 35mm negative or scanner.

How is the 4x5 film? Is there any easy way to shoot it?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've got a Mamiya Universal with Polariod back and just tried the FP-100C instant color film, which makes great pictures, but I am unable to make an image transfer. It was my first attempt and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the Fuji materials for image transfers. I think this material is also available in 4x5, and a black and white FP-3000B polaroid type is rated at EI 3200. And the Mamiya is great, but for 4x5 the Speed or Crown Graphic cameras are great and can be inexpensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dave's on the right track. And his pics are good.

Pinholes have another wonderful property, they are "in focus" from the pinhole to infinity. The softness is due to defraction of the lightwave around the edges of the "hole".

I'd reckon slow film is best. There is already considerable softness in the image without grain intruding.

I'm new today to the APUG, so haven't had time to see what is already covered in pinhole stuff...I hope I'm not repeating too much already covered.

I used my Linhof with its convenient slip in 4x5 film in holders, ready to go. Made a pinhole in a soft drink (soda) can, and worked out the distance from the film and the pinhole size required. Punched it through with a micrometer-measured pin, making sure the hole was really clean (the pin turned out to be a dress-making needle, which had the right diameter after a search through my shed and the house). This hole was f200. Then coloured with a black felt pen to make sure no flare.

First pic was beaut, gorgeous full tones, using 100 iso film. Wow, I was hooked.

Now trying to find some black metal to punch pinholes into. Ordinary metals are "silver" coloured, and may be causing flare. Any one got ideas on black materials which will take a fine clean pin punched hole?

As for manual shutter... the exposures are so long, moving a black cloth off/on the camera is fine; some short term movement and camera judder is not a problem. (Off course long exposures of moving object are a problem to capture with pinhole work; eg swaying trees and branches)

Ansell Adams used machined gold plates with perfect holes of known diameter, hence knew their different f-stops. From their exactness, consistencey can be achieved.

Because the exposures are very long one needs to account for film reciprocity failure. So a calculated exposure of say, 1 minute, may have to be made for 2-3 minutes. Must use a light meter and do your sums.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by davidst View Post
    Now trying to find some black metal to punch pinholes into. Ordinary metals are "silver" coloured, and may be causing flare. Any one got ideas on black materials which will take a fine clean pin punched hole?
    If you use steel, heating up to a dull red and then quenching will turn it black. Many years ago, used to use old engine oil to quench wrought iron work in - With current health & safety rules, you'd be better off using clean oil.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Paul, am thinking on that one. The hole must, fo me, be easily punched or pushed through. I haven't got the equipment for extremely fine drilling through steel. But I like the idea of blackening, as long as there is no gunk build-up in the hole, which then needs cleaning back to shiny metal. Or is the steel black all the way through?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin