Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,229   Posts: 1,532,845   Online: 963

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CVS Film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    The private label film I occasionally buy here in Canada is absolutely Fuji - it's easy to tell because the plastic film canisters are identical to Fuji's.

Fuji's are transparent with identical-coloured lids that fit snugly into the bottom with hardly a lip. The edge of the lid is knurled.

The only similar canisters I've seen are Foma's, which are identical but solid black.
    Fuji, Foma, and Ferrania all use similar -- but not identical -- canisters. Some Svema film also came in similar (but again, not identical to the others') canisters. There are subtle differences between all of these, which you can spot if you study them side-by-side.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay, I'm pretty sure I've trashed a perfectly good roll of film. Really, I don't know. I experimented with a variety of subjects, lighting conditions, exposure times, etc. Anyway, time to develop the film. I'm not real comfortable having CVS process the film. I've read some horror stories, not to mention, the last time I saw the photo lab tech at ours, she was beating up the instant print machine. And she had no teeth.

But I digress. I don't necessarily need prints right away. Just a CD -- especially if it's cheaper. I'm in the Pittsburgh area. Should I trust a retailer, or go with a mail-in service? If the latter, I'd appreciate some recommendations. Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Consider this. A place like CVS might make sense. If you can find a 1-hour place that has a very informal environment you might be able to talk them into hanging around while they process the film. That way you get to see the film at the various stages in the process and perhaps help them correct for any irregularities in your images. This would more than balance out the downsides of a less than perfect lab.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try mailing the film into Swan Photo Lab. They are somewhat inexpensive and do a great job. http://www.swanphotolabs.com/swan08/mailers.php
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Do you have the box? Does it say "Made in Japan"? If so, it's Fuji Superia 400.

There are only 3 companies making color negative film that I know of. Kodak, Fuji and Ferrania.

It's a test roll of film from a homemade pinhole camera. CVS, Walgreens, Target, anybody local, can't hurt it too much. All you're after is an idea of what exposure to use. streaks, lines, crud, etc. won't matter. You could put it in an envelope at Walmart and it will go to a Fuji lab. Be back when it gets back.

Shooter
    35mm
    I can concur with Nicholas on this. When I use 100 film, I am usually shooting about 1 sec in bright sunlight with my Populist. Of course, it depends on the aperture, but my times are about the same as his. Most of the time I use the camera it is in open shade and I am shooting closer to 4 seconds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin