Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,824   Posts: 1,581,968   Online: 855

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CVS Film?

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

CVS Film?

I just put together a 35mm pinhole camera (The Populist). I donít plan to make a habit of buying drug store film, but I was trying to minimize my losses in case my experiment fell apart. So my first roll to take through this camera is CVS 400 speed film, and Iím trying to get a feel for exposure times. I downloaded a small app that gives me exposure times for most name brand film (Kodak, Ilford, etc.). You pick the film and it gives you a table. Basically Iím just trying to get a feel for what brand or type of film the CVS film might be most comparable to in terms of exposure time. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Brian

By the way, my focal length is about 23mm and my pinhole diameter about 0.22mm for an effective f-stop in the neighborhood of f/105.

Shooter
    35mm
    If the CVS 400 is a color print film then you can't go to far wrong in just assuming it is private label Kodak Gold 400. The exposure latitude of 400 speed color negative file is legendary.

Are you going to do the development yourself or take it to a mini-lab? If it really is a color film and you take it to a mini-lab you might want to warn them the image registration may not exactly match a typical 35mm camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    The last I checked, CVS film was made by Fuji. (I just processed a roll a few days ago, but I bought that roll several months ago, perhaps over a year ago.) I can't point you to a specific Fuji-branded equivalent product, if you need exact reciprocity data.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try going to http://www.imageaircraft.com.au/DXsim/ and enter the DX bar code and it should tell you what type of film is loaded in it.

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks for that link Michael, very useful!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Grenet View Post
    thanks for that link Michael, very useful!
    No problem. I'm glad I can finally give something back to the group. It's a useful link when I get my hands on some store brand film! I'm a junkie for bargain film....

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Michael.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by McFortner View Post
    Try going to http://www.imageaircraft.com.au/DXsim/ and enter the DX bar code and it should tell you what type of film is loaded in it.

Michael
    That is a good link. Thank you. Unfortunately, the film is in the camera so I can't read the information off.

I'm probably splitting hairs anyway. I should have done some investigation and invested in film that I thought I might use for this purpose for a while. That way I could get to know its properties. I don't plan to make a habit of using private label film. (Of course, if the results are decent and I determine what brand of fim it really is, maybe I will.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The private label film I occasionally buy here in Canada is absolutely Fuji - it's easy to tell because the plastic film canisters are identical to Fuji's.

Fuji's are transparent with identical-coloured lids that fit snugly into the bottom with hardly a lip. The edge of the lid is knurled.

The only similar canisters I've seen are Foma's, which are identical but solid black. Fuji also uses slightly different canisters for other types of film; for slide films, the lid is identical but black; for black-and-white, the lid is identical but grey. The bottoms are the same for all Fuji films.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All 400 speed films have the same exposure requirements.

With an f-stop of ~1:100 at ASA 400, your standard exposure in sunshine, with the sun over your shoulder, would be around 1/4th of a second ("sunny-11", which seems to hold for Cleveland, so I imagine it will work for Pittsburgh). 1/2 second for hazy clouds (distinct shadows), 1 second cloudy bright (no shadows), 2 seconds overcast, 4 seconds open shade.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin