Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,542   Posts: 1,572,787   Online: 877

NW Wisconsin hard by the shore of Lake Superior
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

How do I rig my Universal Press for Pinhole?

I would like to try Pinhole photography with my Universal Press and Fuji Instant Film. Will I need to get somextension tubes to make this work or can I mount my lensless lens right on the body of the camera? I suppose I could experiment but will seek your advice first, just in case someone out there has already blazed this trail......
    Thanks,
    John
    Never met a camera I didn't like...
    Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/j9fingers/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I would mount it directly on the body to get some extreme wide angle images. I got rid of my press several years ago but as I remember this will give you an effective focal length of 1 1/2 - 2".
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

NW Wisconsin hard by the shore of Lake Superior
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks Jim, ultra wide is pretty neat. The hole in the front of the Press is huge, how did you mount the Pinhole ?
    Never met a camera I didn't like...
    Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/j9fingers/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can you get a "body cap" for that camera? That can be a handy way to afix experimental goodies without messing up the camera with duct tape, baling wire or rubber bands, etc. I bought and used an extra body cap for a pinhole with my SQ-A, but that resulted in a near-normal field of view because there is a bunch of clearance for the reflex mirror built into the body. (About 90mm focal length on 6x6cm film.) Bayonet on - bayonet off. I actually switched between my 80mm lens and the pinhole on its first outing, using the lens to be able to see what I was shooting (SLR focussing doesn't work so well with pinholes!)

DaveT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    Bayonet on - bayonet off. I actually switched between my 80mm lens and the pinhole on its first outing, using the lens to be able to see what I was shooting (SLR focussing doesn't work so well with pinholes!)

DaveT
    Good thing you don't need to
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unh -- got me! Mayhaps I should have said "aiming and composing."

DaveT

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin