Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,523   Posts: 1,543,813   Online: 770

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Quick Question about pinhole size

My friend found a big piece of construction ducting laying around, and just for the hell of it, we're going to build a pinhole camera with a focal length of about 152cm. I looked at a pinhole size calculator, and is it true that my pinhole will be 17mm wide? I'm going to have it cover an 8x10 sheet of paper.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    When I used the tool that I use to determine pinhole size, a focal length of 1520mm (152cm) requires a pinhole size of 1.64mm, which would be about f/925...

- Randy

Shooter
    Pinhole
    A quick calculation based on the formula in Eric Renner's book tells me that the pinhole should be 1.46mm wide.

Many people use this calculator to determine pinhole size: http://www.pinhole.cz/en/pinholedesigner/ It will likely give a slightly different result.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1.7 mm sounds reasonable, confirmed via Pinhole Designer. Maybe a power of ten fell by the wayside with mm vs cm? f/894! You better include a lawn chair and a cooler of beverage with your photo gear!

DaveT

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Dave,

That's what I was thinking too! Don't wait too long into the day to start those exposures...

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    My friend found a big piece of construction ducting laying around, and just for the hell of it, we're going to build a pinhole camera with a focal length of about 152cm. I looked at a pinhole size calculator, and is it true that my pinhole will be 17mm wide? I'm going to have it cover an 8x10 sheet of paper.
    1.45 mm if you're after sharpness and 1.75 mm if you're after resolution. Anything in-between will work fine as well.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    1.45 mm if you're after sharpness and 1.75 mm if you're after resolution.
    Ralph, care to explain your reasoning?
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Ralph, care to explain your reasoning?
    Reason for what, Keith?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Your distinction between sharpness and resolution.... and why you'd recommend different aperture sizes to get one or the other. The way you wrote that, it implied to me that 1.45 would give better sharpness but inferior resolution, whereas 1.75 would do the opposite. I don't get that... unless you have some info about what spatial freqs are better transmitted at either extreme or such?
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Your distinction between sharpness and resolution.... and why you'd recommend different aperture sizes to get one or the other. The way you wrote that, it implied to me that 1.45 would give better sharpness but inferior resolution, whereas 1.75 would do the opposite. I don't get that... unless you have some info about what spatial freqs are better transmitted at either extreme or such?
    Keith

Indeed, that is exactly what I meant.

Since you mentioned spacial frequency, I assume that you're familiar with MTFs. An MTF comparison between a pinhole size, optimized for the Airy disk, compared to one optimized for the Rayleigh criterion reveals the difference. If someone is after the optimum pinhole size, one must decide what to optimize it for. Our eyes have a clear preference for contrast over resolution, and therefore, the Airy disk is commonly preferred. However, the Raleigh criterion results in higher resolution at the cost of contrast and perceived sharpness.

Diffraction optics dictates that the pinhole is as large as possible to minimize light spreading, and geometric optics dictates that an ideal pinhole is as small as possible to optimize image clarity. Considering the Airy disc and the Rayleigh criterion leads to two theorems for an ideal pinhole diameter and suggests that there may be more than one right answer.

1. The smallest pinhole possible is based on the Airy disc to optimize image sharpness.

d = sqrt(2.44 * wave length * focal length)

2. The largest pinhole necessary satisfies the Rayleigh criterion to optimize image resolution.

d = sqrt(3.66 * wave length * focal length)

Again, the quest for the optimal pinhole diameter is generally fueled by the desire to create the sharpest pinhole image possible. Contrast and resolution are both aspects of sharpness, but human perception typically considers high-contrast images to be sharper than high-resolution images. Consequently, unless resolution is more important than perceived sharpness, my proposal for the optimal pinhole diameter is based on George Airy’s diffraction-limited disc.

I hope this explains it a bit better.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin