Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,278   Posts: 1,534,847   Online: 745

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mal
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

New to 5x4 how do I...

Hi,

I've just picked up a Zero 5x4 pinhole and a couple of double darkslide backs.

I've not used 5x4 before and was wondering if someone could give me a clue as to storing exposed negatives prior to processing without leaving them in the film holders...

My concern is getting them mixed up - especially if I have bracketed a series and not being able to work out which is which...

I would love to take more than 4 images per session...

Thanks for your help, Mal...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BBBold: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.297 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Best way be in a spare bag that negs come in. Box too. In any event, they must be kept in the dark, cool and dry.
    Last edited by Christopher Walrath; 10-03-2009 at 09:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Images
    Good Evening, Mal,

Just remove the exposed negatives from the holders and put them back in film boxes. Label the boxes as necessary. If you currently have only one film box, just clip different corners of the sheets to indicate how they were exposed. Better write down your clipping code in case enough time to forget goes by before you get around to processing.

Actually, if you're "just starting out," you're probably just as well off processing your sheets in one batch using "normal" developing times to help you zero in on your particular film/developer times. The different exposure times should be evident in the exposed film. The fewer variables the better at your stage of the game. For simplicity's sake, start out with four sheets (since four 4 x 5 sheets will fit onto a single 8 x 10 sheet of contact paper).

Konical
    Last edited by Konical; 10-03-2009 at 09:15 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: puncuation correction

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Mal
    If you are out in the field and do not want to leave them in their holders, you are probably best storing the exposed sheets in an empty film box. Do you have a changing tent or similar? If you are later processing the bracketed sheets all normally, and the brackets are not too narrow, you should be able to tell after processing which one is which by their relative densities. If you do really need to know which sheet came from which holder, some people put notches in the edge of their film holders to enable ready identification of individual sheets - the notches show up as areas of exposure on the edge of the negs.
    Failing that, you may want to get a couple more holders...
    Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Additional holders (double darkslides Downunder) are cheap, convenient, easy to use.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the East Texas Rain forest. Apprentice Analog Activist.
    ... And to paraphrase Yoda, there is no how, only do.
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Mal
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks all... I have managed to find a place to store the exposed sheets. Now I just need to find a suitable bag to carry all of the paraphernalia around in!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Billingham bags (Robert White UK) are not super-cheap, but are very fine things for lugging around your film-powered companions...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Mal,
    I will have a look I may have a couple of extra boxes laying around. I will check over the next couple of days and let you know. I will also check my DD stocks I may have a couple to sell, not sure yet. If you are looking for a bag to change in, I would recommend the Harrison tent. I have a jumbo which is the best thing since canned beer. It is great in the field and the room means no dust on surfaces laying on your material. They have various sizes and are really worth the investment. The stow into their own bag and weigh very little. The extra room means that it is cooler. That helps here..
    What grain............................................. ...............
    Oh sorry, I forgot you don't shoot Large Format
    Large format Pat.

http://www.largeformatpat.com

Mal
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have a Billingham bag for my 35mm rangefinder gear and had already thought to empty it and see if everything fit. As for boxes, I'm sure that once I have played with this for more than 5 minutes the pile of boxes will grow... I currently have a dark bag but the idea of the tent sounds good Pat. I will need to experiment to see how much dust happens (and I have no doubt that it will).

I was seriously considering trying some Fuji FP-100C instant film so that I can experiment with exposures and see results without the expense of developing & scanning negatives. Has anyone done this? Is it worth the time?

I have the polaroid back already and wanted to use it at least once before it became obsolete... Having said that the Zero 5x4 pinhole with the Linhoff 5x4 polaroid back looks weird enough that I should expect lots of curious questions...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mal, little camera shop in Hardware Lane (City) has a heap of darkslides in the window, not sure how much $ the were though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin