Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,313   Online: 830

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Tripod for 120 film Pinhole

I have a Zero Image 69 pinhole camera for 120 film which weights around 330g.
    My Manfrotto tripods are large, heavy and cumbersome and even though they are perfect for my MF cameras, they are way too overkill for the lightweight wooden box.

I am looking for a small and light tripod with a build in head, doesn't extend too high but is able to make all the leg and center column movements of the bigger Manfrotto tripods such as horizontal leg spread and positioning of the column.

Unfortunately it seems that most lightweight tripods (build with cheap digital compacts in mind) are flimsy and can't stand the abuse. I've read bad reviews about the Manfrotto Digi Mini line for example, going as far as labeling them unworthy of the company's name.

Do you have anything to suggest?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think that's it: weight is saved by reducing the leg's diameter, and reducing the 'fittings' in size. The more you reduce its weight, the flimsier the tripod will get.

I don't know how they think that tripods with 10 mm diameter legs will ever be able to hold anything. One test i think everyone who would ever want to get a tripod should do is to lean on it. If it doesn't move, lean on it more, until it does.
    I wouldn't even dare doing that to any of these flimsy thingies.
    And apart from that: one 'gust' of a calm breeze, and these thingies will topple, even with the lightest of light digicams on top.

Maybe something completely different, like Manfrotto's articulated arms, could serve your purpose?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I hear you about equating tripod weight to flimsiness but it is not completely so.
    I usually place the camera close to the height of my waist, which means that a single leg section would be fine and a table top tripod would be too short. My three section tripods, including the carbon one, are too large, so a similarly constructed one without the leg extension would be perfect.
    I need something to carry on my back, even on a bike ride and forget about.
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look at Slik sprint series or the Velbron Ultra Maxi series, about a 1kg in weigh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    Look at Slik sprint series or the Velbron Ultra Maxi series, about a 1kg in weigh.
    Thank you, really. Both have tripods I find interesting. I will look around here to see what I can find.
    I really like the Velbon Ultra Maxi Mini although I can't afford it at the moment.
    http://www.apertureprofessional.com/...ad.php?t=20129
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I usually use the same tripod with my Zero as the one I use for most of my other work. I have a quick release plate attached to the Zero 2000 and just slide it onto the ball head and get after it. I have a couple of the smaller tripods, hoever when I'm doing an exposure that may be 20 or 30 minutes long, I want the dang camera to sit still. I don't have a cable release on my Zero 2000. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am actually considering the Gorillapod which seems flexible, light and cheap enough to carry with my Zero Image all the time.
    So, I can carry a tripod on my back when I can or carry the Gorillapod when I need to be more lightweight and flexible.
    Its either between the standard or the SLR, thinking that the latter would have more stability and perhaps carry another lightweight film camera. I could get of course the bigger one to also use with my Hasselblad, but I think that would be overkill for now.
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bogen 3001 or 3011 legs & a small ball head would work.
    I just saw a Gorillapod in the flesh & thought it was pretty neat.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've just got the Velbon Ultra Maxi Mini for use with my Zero pinholes and to replace Manfrotto table top tripod I have been using. The Manfrotto was fine but limited. The Velbon can be extended to nearly 50cms. So far I've used it with a Rolleiflex, not the pinholes but it supported the Rollei fine. It is a really neat package taking very little space. The ballhead is reassuringly robust.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin