Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,928   Posts: 1,556,830   Online: 852

Shooter
    4x5 Format

some strange color cast/results.

Hi, I've been shooting some constructed cameras that for all intensive purpouses are pinhole cameras. I have started using a regular pinhole camera with a 4x5 back and shooting both color positive and color negative film. I've developed them with c41 so they colors shift or they come out normally. The film I use is both old and new.

My question arrived when I turned in some film, and all the film has orange casts to them. The ones with the most cast whch are almost completely orange/red. I have been scanning and editing the colors in photoshop but these past ones are beyond changing.

Is my problem just the film or is it something else I am doing? The film with the most issue is with porta 100T film. I dont think its really an issue, the images came out very interesting. More a curiosity of the color shifts.

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did you put the film in with the emulsion facing the pinhole? If you expose it through the base it will come out with a very strong red or orange cast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    perhaps this link might provide some clues. along with reciprocity calculations there is also filter corrections necessary for low light exposures.

http://photo.net/learn/nature/reciprocity
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphirephoenix2 View Post
    ..shooting both color positive and color negative film. I've developed them with c41 so they colors shift or they come out normally.
    Are you using C41 chemistry for BOTH color negative AND color trransparency film? If so, the color transparency should require E-6 chemistry. Check the film package.

Processing C41 in E6 chemistry, or vice versa, *will* give unusual results - this is known as cross processing.

Is my problem just the film or is it something else I am doing? The film with the most issue is with porta 100T film. I dont think its really an issue, the images came out very interesting. More a curiosity of the color shifts.
    The "T" at the end would indicate that the film color is "balanced" for artifcial (Tungsten) lighting. Using it in "daylight" should give you a heavy cyan (bluish) cast - but using the wrong chemistry (cross processing) ... I really don't have any idea of what it would look like.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The color shifts with reciprocity. The further you get to reciprocity failure the further the shift of color.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes tungsten film will give an orange cast to all your images unless they're shot indoors under tungsten light. BTW I know people who will pay for that Portra 100T or trade daylight film for it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin