Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,606   Online: 792

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Zero Image

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I second nsurit. You will go head over heels for the beautiful Zero Image cameras. Really, the quality and attention to detail is astounding.
    My 6x9 deluxe multi-format I purchased is a joy to use, though an often brutal reminder of how darned lucky we are with modern SLRs or even MF/LF cameras: so primitive yet so successful: we're going back 600 years I think and the results achievable are quite startling against the clinically perfect and tack-sharp images we normally strive for. I don't know anybody at the moment using a Zero Image 4x5 but that may change. Some local images on Zero Image pinhole are beginning to bob up on Flickr.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    I bought one of these a while ago and love it... The images are a lot sharper with a pinhole than I expected... Be prepared for long exposures even in reasonable light... This one took 96 minutes @ 75mm...

http://www.redbubble.com/people/mal6...-pinhole-image
    That's sharper than I expected from a pinhole image.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster View Post
    Congratulations. Great camera.

I made this image with the ZeroImage 4x5 using only the front 25mm section.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Cheers...ton_DC.html#11
    Wow, those are some nice photos. Color sure looks good too with pinhole. I have shot some Ektachrome from 1980's recently. Most of it looking pretty good for how many years expired. I can't wait to shoot all the rest of this Ektachrome and Fuji Velvia I have when my Zero Image is in my hands. It got shipped today! Yay!!

While looking around the Zero Image site, I found this in one of the galleries, from Scott Speck:

This is one of the most interesting pinhole shots I've ever seen.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    I bought one of these a while ago and love it... The images are a lot sharper with a pinhole than I expected... Be prepared for long exposures even in reasonable light... This one took 96 minutes @ 75mm...

http://www.redbubble.com/people/mal6...-pinhole-image

That is a damned nice picture.
    Vince Donovan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many pinholers sharpen their scans before placing on the web; I'm assuming this image might have been sharpened to increase definition on the web, as images are generally not so sharp or well-defined by pinhole nature: they are soft, fuzzy, but a lot depends on the quality of the pinhole itself (the brass shimmy). That is what can really have an effect on the image.

All the same, it is a great pic; either angling the camera steeply up or, even more whacky, lying on your back looking up/sitting up. Terrific. Something to try when I visit a sea cave...
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have been shooting w/pinhole cameras for the past couple of years and i still do not understand why people keep talking about the images being,
    "generally not so sharp or well-defined by pinhole nature: they are soft, fuzzy" I have made and have seen some amazingly sharp images. Sharp enough the my photography teacher has trouble telling when I shoot with a lensed camera or with my pinhole.
    Sorry if this rubs anyone the wrong way but it is very tiring.
    Arthur

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FM2N View Post
    I have been shooting w/pinhole cameras for the past couple of years and i still do not understand why people keep talking about the images being,
    "generally not so sharp or well-defined by pinhole nature: they are soft, fuzzy" I have made and have seen some amazingly sharp images. Sharp enough the my photography teacher has trouble telling when I shoot with a lensed camera or with my pinhole.
    Sorry if this rubs anyone the wrong way but it is very tiring.
    Arthur
    I agree with the possibility for very sharp images. From what I can grasp, the sharpness has a lot to do with several factors.

1. Diameter of pinhole. The smaller the diameter, the sharper the image.
    2. The material the pinhole is made out of. Shiny thick brass plate or sheet metal yields fuzzy image. If any backlighting conditions exist, it causes reflections inside the pinhole "tube" and causing major swirls and refractions or aberrations on the negative. Thin, dark, opaque material makes sharper image.
    3. Dimmer conditions where lighting is more even (such as interior shots with ambient lighting) make for long exposures but very sharp images.
    4. Bright lights tend to scatter light inside of the cheeper or home built pinhole cameras and while faster to expose, result in more fuzzy or rather less contrast which makes it look less sharp.
    5. Camera shake. Or wind shake, like photographing trees outside in the wind with a 3 minute exposure. You will not get ANY sharp image that way.

Likely I am missing some more.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You may be interested to see what the zone plate setting is capable of. It's highly trial and error, to me anyway.

BTW I find the 50mm pinhole setup the most interesting, sometimes the 25mm can be extreme (watch out for the tripod in shot), the 75mm starts to look a little like a not so good LF wide angle lens.

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You may be interested to see what the zone plate setting is capable of. It's highly trial and error, to me anyway.

BTW I find the 50mm pinhole setup the most interesting, sometimes the 25mm can be extreme (watch out for the tripod in shot), the 75mm starts to look a little like a not so good LF wide angle lens.

Regards - Ross
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Playpark.jpg  

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FM2N View Post
    "generally not so sharp or well-defined by pinhole nature: they are soft, fuzzy"
    Ditto. I've been having fun this past year with the classic Quaker Oats DIY pinhole camera. Not to brag, but my first results were so sharp that I was almost disappointed (I was specifically hoping for something soft, artsy, dreamlike). For example:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/35166624@N03/4093582101/

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin