Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,050   Online: 959

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Zero Image

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    BVY Have you been to the f295 symposium in Pittsburgh?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    Ditto. I've been having fun this past year with the classic Quaker Oats DIY pinhole camera. Not to brag, but my first results were so sharp that I was almost disappointed (I was specifically hoping for something soft, artsy, dreamlike). For example:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/35166624@N03/4093582101/
    So your saying that image was not sharpened? I sharpen most my pinhole images after being scanned. Have not had the chance to enlarge and print in the traditional way yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My personal belief that sharpening pinhole images for display in the web is a travesty of the truth. The images were not created sharp by the camera and should not be represented as such, by some stretch that the photographer believes it should be sharper to match his usual standard.

I do concede that some sharpening is necessary to at least overcome inherent failings in simple scanning and subsequent displaying, but too many images I have seen are deranging the ethereal softness of pinhole so that the result resembles the tack-sharp images of SLRs, MF or LF! The question is, why? Definition, not sharpness, is the technical bit of pinhole and is best appreciated viewing the negative of a print. Leave the the image as the pinhole created it and delight in primal way of the camera obscura.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FM2N View Post
    BVY Have you been to the f295 symposium in Pittsburgh?
    I have not. That's for real photographers (!). I'm just a guy making cameras out of stuff from the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    So your saying that image was not sharpened? I sharpen most my pinhole images after being scanned. Have not had the chance to enlarge and print in the traditional way yet.
    Right. No sharpening or other Photoshop trickery. View it full size though, because I think Flickr applies sharpening to images it resizes for display.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    My personal belief that sharpening pinhole images for display in the web is a travesty of the truth. The images were not created sharp by the camera and should not be represented as such, by some stretch that the photographer believes it should be sharper to match his usual standard.
    Amen to that. I don't even sharpen my digital photos anymore. Maybe I should (or could), but sharpness looks much better when the lens delivers it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post

Right. No sharpening or other Photoshop trickery. View it full size though, because I think Flickr applies sharpening to images it resizes for display.
    Yes the full size is what I would agree is pinhole sharp, flickr does sharpen for resize.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beware of Picnik, the accomplice to Flickr that can absolutely ruin images, AND re-post them willy-nilly, adding confusion ad-naseum.
    I am reviewing my options for how to get pictures up and not have them bedevilled in the couldron of Picnik.

That B&W photo appearing earlier in this thread — though undeniably quite a striking scene — has probably been sharpened several times, and—? If so, it is a false representation of the nature of pinhole. We must all remember to show pinhole images for what they are, and leave their inherent failings alone. We've all got access to cameras that produce images of outstanding sharpness and beauty. Pinhole has a beauty all of its own and that's what we need to embrace, not summarily impose elaborate technical refinements. Enjoy it.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    BVYYou don't know what you are missing. The vast majority of attendee's are pinholers who make their own cameras. It is a real blast to walk around Pitt. with a group of 10-20 pinholers talking and taking wonderful pics. There are usually 1 or 2 gallery openings which include many wonderful pinhole images. I hope you will get out with us next time.
    Arthur

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My camera shipped today! Well.. actually about 22 hours ago 2 - 3 days shipping was my quote. I'm feeling like a kid waiting for Santa Claus to show up
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Arthur. Seriously, I do post to the f295 forums and have had some e-mail conversations with Tom (its founder) -- we actually live about a mile from each other. It's great to have such an organization right here in Pittsburgh, and I do hope to get involved sometime soon.

Perry Way, sorry if I (we?) hijacked your thread. For now, I'm enjoying making my own cameras, but there is something appealing about a professionally built pinhole camera. Scott Speck's stuff, as you pointed out, is especially inspiring. Anyway, congrats on your purchase. Looking forward to seeing some results...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have contemplated buying a camera from Zero Image from time to time. I really like the design of adding or removing "frames" to get the desired focal length and the turret for the various pinholes. Getting a multiple focal length camera, pinholes and zone plates for that price seems a real bargain.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin