Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,695   Online: 872

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Zero Image

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

zero image question

Maybe someone with experience ordering from Zero Image can help me. I'm interested in ordering the 2000 model but want to go with the zone plate option. However, their order page doesn't seem to have that option listed for any of their cameras, despite what the written descriptions of the cameras indicate. Has anyone had experience ordering a zone plate camera? Do any of their cameras have a pinhole/zone plate combo option? Maybe it's me, but I find their site a bit confusing. Not to mention their Paypal page is in Chinese.
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do not be put off.
    I ordered my camera from Zero Image without problems, speaking with Zernicke Au (the manufacturer himself) personally, by email. I don't think the zone plate option is available for the 2000 (my own Zero Image is the 6x9 multiformat, with option for pinhole or zone plate).

The PayPal site is an ongoing (and serious) problem for Zero Image and has more to do with the Chinese than the company. Send an email enquiry to Zero Image and organise to make payment direct through PayPal email transfer once he has given you the information re your choice. Don't risk drama with the PayPal "Chinglish" site, or the Digital River site that has high overheads on purchase.

Send email enquiry for Atten: Mr Zernike Au, orders@zeroimage.com, telling him exactly what camera you want and in what configuration.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 01-10-2010 at 09:32 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Unfinished end para.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks. According to their site, both the 200o and 6x9 have the zone plate option. I didn't realize that the 6x9 was multi-format. I will send him an email. Cheers,

John
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    my 4x5 has a turret with 3 pinholes and 3 zone plates. the 3 represent sizes especially for 25mm, 50mm and 75mm and above. i do not know about smaller sized formats.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's been very confusing trying to clarify this with Mr. Au. It seems that the only medium format camera that currently offers both the zone plate and pinhole options is the 612F which is way out of my price range. Most cameras offer and either/or option, but not both.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You pin-holers are an inspiration to the rest of us. All your shots are just great, and you don't even use lenses!

Keep up the great work .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thebanana View Post
    It's been very confusing trying to clarify this with Mr. Au. It seems that the only medium format camera that currently offers both the zone plate and pinhole options is the 612F which is way out of my price range. Most cameras offer and either/or option, but not both.

Why do you need the zone plate option?
    Mr. Au is much more a craftsman than a communicator. And he has consummate patience.

To get an idea of what zone plate does to an image, smear a good coating of petroleum jelly on a normal lens and look through it. What do you see? That's what a zone plate will do. Unless you're skilled at abstract imaging, it would be best to stick with a pinhole for the sake of definition and making sense of what the camera is seeing. It's not so easy with a zone plate.

I'd go for the multi-format 6x9 as it has the zone plate/pinhole option, but again the foregoing comments are reiterated so you can get a 'feel' for pinhole and progress to other options later on. Remember it's a very different branch of applied photography to the hi-tech (by rudimentary comparison) arsenal of goodies we usually cart around.

—Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Why do you need the zone plate option?
    Mr. Au is much more a craftsman than a communicator. And he has consummate patience.

To get an idea of what zone plate does to an image, smear a good coating of petroleum jelly on a normal lens and look through it. What do you see? That's what a zone plate will do. Unless you're skilled at abstract imaging, it would be best to stick with a pinhole for the sake of definition and making sense of what the camera is seeing. It's not so easy with a zone plate.

I'd go for the multi-format 6x9 as it has the zone plate/pinhole option, but again the foregoing comments are reiterated so you can get a 'feel' for pinhole and progress to other options later on. Remember it's a very different branch of applied photography to the hi-tech (by rudimentary comparison) arsenal of goodies we usually cart around.
    Yeah I get that about zone plate. I've done pinhole before, so I know what I'm getting onto. What I don't understand is how the whole pinhole/zone plate "option" is defined. His email stated that the 6x9 doesn't have that option, you say it does. Probably a communication issue, I don't know. If possible, I'd like to get both options now, rather than placing another order later. Perhaps with the 6x9 it's an either/or option, you buy either a pinhole 6x9 or a zone plate 6x9?
    Luckily I'm patient too

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thebanana View Post
    Yeah I get that about zone plate. I've done pinhole before, so I know what I'm getting onto. What I don't understand is how the whole pinhole/zone plate "option" is defined. His email stated that the 6x9 doesn't have that option, you say it does. Probably a communication issue, I don't know. If possible, I'd like to get both options now, rather than placing another order later. Perhaps with the 6x9 it's an either/or option, you buy either a pinhole 6x9 or a zone plate 6x9?
    Luckily I'm patient too

Curious...
    The Zero Image order form I used clearly allowed the option of pinhole or zone plate, with illustrations from the Specifications page; I chose the former. My initial order was through the Digital River site that Mr. Au himself dislikes because of that operator's "grab" for profit; I baulked at it too and thus as per my first post here ordered directly from him, again specifying just the pinhole version. It is rather odd that he should now say that zone plate is not available on the 6x9 multiformat (which refers to 6x6, 6x7 or 6x9)?

Buy whatever is on offer, then! Whatever you end up with, and reflecting other posts in this thread, you'll fall in love with a Zero Image camera obscura; they really are a showpiece of engineering.

The best thing is to communicate directly with Mr. Au even though email is probably not the best way.

—Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    So if the 6x9 can technically do both using the same body, what specifically is required to make that happen?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin