Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,655   Posts: 1,481,404   Online: 1067

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm just about to finish building a pinhole camera. All I need to do is make the pinhole and wait for the film to get here. Since I recycle the aluminum soda cans we drink out of, i'm just going to use that. I see no reason why that wouldnt work fine.
    "Gotta little problem with personal space, and I've been pounding the Jager. My breath and behavior have been driving the patrons away" -"Whipped Cream" by Ludo

My photography blog: http://silver-light0.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Aluminum from a soda can will work fine.

To answer the question of where to get brass shim stock.. Try Ace Hardware. The one near me has varying thicknesses of aluminum, brass, and stainless steel flats, rods, and tubes. All in small quantities and relatively inexpensive. Perfect for small projects.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The maker is K&S & as earlier post say, Hardware, craft, & hobby stores. I got a bagged assortment of different sizes & thicknesses at American Scientific & Surplus for a couple of $$.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The best reason for using shim stock is that it is very thin, and you want the edges of the pinhole to have the smallest possible thickness. The classic technique of using a blunt punch to make a dimple, and then sanding off the convex side until the pinhole is the desired diameter, will give you a thinner edge than any shim stock that is robust enough to handle. Heavier starting stock, within reason (soda can and on up) is actually easier to work with.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    The best material I've found for home-made pinholes is the disposable aluminum lids for steam table trays. Here is a link mainly to show what I'm talking about.
    http://www.package4less.com/aluminum...isposable.aspx
    The lids are less than $1.00 each at retail stores like Party City. You can probably make 50 or 100 pinhole apertures out of one. They are thin aluminum, thinner than a pop can but thicker than aluminum foil. I've found brass shim stock to be harder to work with than aluminum; it can crumple too easily.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another good source of material for making pinholes is the metal sliding "door" on 3 1/2" floppy disks.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Look for K&S Engineering's sheet metal display, usually found in any Ace or True Value hardware store, and in many hobby shops.

~Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find I can work pretty well with 0.002 inch brass by keeping it in the larger sheet and holding it stretched against a flat surface while creating the pinholes. I then cut out sections after the pinholes are made. I find 0.001 inch is just too flimsy to work with easily. Hobby shops catering to railroad modelers seem to be the most reliable source of the K&S stuff around this area.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the help, I found the exact K&S display pictured above at my local hobby shop. I picked up the variety pack with .001, .002, .003 and .005. Now to see how long it takes me to horribly mess up this camera.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I have always been able to find it at an auto supply store.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin