Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,214   Online: 1113

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Brass Shim Stock

I am working on my first pinhole camera, and I am looking for material to make the pinhole from.

A lot of people have suggested using .2mm brass shim stock, but a thorough search of the local Michael's didn't turn up any. What is the intended use of this stuff so I have a chance of finding some in the store.

The clerk I asked had no idea what I was talking about.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hobby stores, craft stores, sell flat thin sheets of brass stock. Look in the area for model airplanes. I'm not sure of the brand, but I believe its something like K&E? Anyway, you should be able to find packages of something like 6x9 inch brass stock in very thin sheets.

Falkland Islands: not any more now I'm in Lincolnshire UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    A bearing supplier should have some. It is used for precision packing in engineering.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you want simple and cheap, try a soda can. The material toward the top is thinnest. Just make sure you paint the backside black.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Any hardware store should have it.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you want/need specific thicknesses, you can order from McMaster Carr. They have just about anything you could ever need.
    Dan's website: www.dandozer.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Another source you might try is an autoparts store. The soda can will also work, I've made pinhole cameras out of 1 quart and 1 gallon paint cans by simply drilling a hole in the side of the can. This is supposedly way to thick but it does work. The attached image is taken with a quart paint can camera, with 0.020 pinhole drilled directly in the can.

Roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0394.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Online metals there in the U.S. will have what you want. I have ordered from them and been very satisfied. The other sources I have used locally are hobby stores (model train section) and trophy plack stores /engraving shops. The kind used for brass name plates on post boxes works ok.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...p=2&top_cat=79

Shooter
    35mm

Brass

Randy, I have massive amounts of brass shim stock. I haven't measured it but it looks about .2mm and 1/2" ish wide in ribbon form. Send me $1.50 for postage etc and I'll send you 12" ... Should be enough for 10-12 ... Bill, PM me
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.

Shooter
    35mm

brass

Checked in the shop. .25mmx15mm (just under 5/8") I've used black foamcore to mount a 1" piece. ... as a lensboard for my view cameras....
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin