Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,087   Online: 883

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Another example

Hello all,

Here is an example of a image I posted some month ago onto the gallery :

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...mageuser=14168

It's 4x5" transparency film exposed with 23mm focal length !

I have used too a 16mm FL pinhole camera, with B&W large format film, if someone interested I can post an image of the result here (I have yet to scan it).

Regards,

Raphael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Look up www.zeroimage.com and find the link on the left to Zero 45. There is a specifications sheet that lists the pinhole sizes and dimensions at 25mm, 50mm and 75mm equivalents. It may not be exactly what you are looking for but it will give you a start...
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    What I figure, is that I know Tmax can take many stops of overexposure without changing tonality too much, because it has so much straight-line. So I figure that if I expose enough that the corners get enough exposure, I will hopefully be able to dodge back the center and have it look at least somewhat normal tonality from the center outwards, if I can get the dodging right.
    Have a look at my Zero Image 4x5 pinhole images in 25 mm configuration (probably a 110-120 degree super wide angle). Instead of dodging, you need to burn in the center, or dodge the edges .

http://www.boeringa.demon.nl/amsterd...ght/index.html
    http://www.boeringa.demon.nl/amsterd...day/index.html

My procedure for printing:

- First an overall hard grade short exposure, e.g. grade 3.5-4(5) for maybe 2.5-4 seconds max. This will ensure proper contrast in the corners / edges of the print, where the negative is extremely "thin"

- Than burn in the centre of the print using a grade 2-2.5 for maybe 15-25 seconds (exact centre may need more), using a paper with a hole cut in it of about 5 cm diameter, and continuously move it up/down vertically above the paper, hence giving the real center the most exposure, and to the edges gradually less. I do go as far as giving the edges an occasional small exposure in this step as well, when the paper with hole is the utmost highest position, but keep exposing the edges to a minimum.

Here is one image:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DN3_287.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	26610

As you can see, a 25 mm pinhole with a 4x5 negative is perfectly feasible...
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a 25mm 4x5 pinhole camera. It covers to the edges, but the vignetting is very noticable. Not a bad thing for a lot of stuff. I don't remember the diameter of pinhole I'm using, but it is on very thin stock. I think it might have been around 0.15mm. Very small.

I have a couple of shots from it:
    http://visualfiction.org/zenphoto/al...all-img001.jpg
    http://visualfiction.org/zenphoto/al...sml-img019.jpg
    http://visualfiction.org/zenphoto/al...sml-img021.jpg

The waterfall (first one) was taken right at the base of this waterfall. I mean pretty much right at the base. A more normal perspective shows how dramatic the wide angle is.
    http://visualfiction.org/zenphoto/al...all-img004.jpg

(I actually scanned this with the film upside down so it is mirrored; I didn't notice before and didn't flip it):

It is ridiculously wide. When you think about it, 25mm is a pretty wide angle lens on a 35mm camera.. nevermind 4x5!

It's so wide that I still haven't come to terms with it and figured out how to frame things in an expected way. Even using diagonal lines I drew on the box top I still underestimate how wide my images will be.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    It's so wide that I still haven't come to terms with it and figured out how to frame things in an expected way. Even using diagonal lines I drew on the box top I still underestimate how wide my images will be.
    I know the feeling. You really need to force yourself to go right up to the subject with a 25mm 4x5 LF pinhole. And with that I mean sometimes in the range of 10-25cm max.

Here is another extreme example of making maximum use of the extreme wide angle. I don't think I have to explain to you how close I set up the camera to the pump... it literally rested against the stone masonry:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DN3_293.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	28705
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anybody ever try to make a non image neg from the pinhole camera aimed at an evenly lit blank wall and developed to just the right contrast and density then sandwich that with a neg for printing to automatically dodge the print? It would be a custom job for each camera and focal length used.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    I know the feeling. You really need to force yourself to go right up to the subject with a 25mm 4x5 LF pinhole. And with that I mean sometimes in the range of 10-25cm max.

Here is another extreme example of making maximum use of the extreme wide angle. I don't think I have to explain to you how close I set up the camera to the pump... it literally rested against the stone masonry:
    That's a great image. Sometimes I think I must have placed my camera ridiculously far away from something, and then I catch a detail like the bricks in your image... that spout is like a brick's width away from the camera. Maybe two.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas View Post
    Anybody ever try to make a non image neg from the pinhole camera aimed at an evenly lit blank wall and developed to just the right contrast and density then sandwich that with a neg for printing to automatically dodge the print? It would be a custom job for each camera and focal length used.
    I just read about that yesterday. I think you have to make a contact positive for it to work first; or shoot transparency film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Right, thats they way it works. A contact positive would be best. The neg would work better placed in front of the neg somehow to act as a center ND filter.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you really want the widest angle, you could curve the film 360 inside a can and have the pinhole in the end. More than a touch of distortion and light fall off, though...(: Or take a round flat tin (cookie tin) and put a smaller cylinder inside and use multiple pinholes. I've never done either of these, but they are on my to-do list!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
    If you really want the widest angle, you could curve the film 360 inside a can and have the pinhole in the end. More than a touch of distortion and light fall off, though...(:
    William Mokrynski's "Endroit de vie" series is a nice example of the bizarre results such a pinhole camera creates:

http://www.wmokrynski.com/flash_page...e_gallery.html

Marco
    My website

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin