Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,883   Online: 1034

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Work in Progress

Here's a project I started quite a while ago and have just started playing with again. The camera is 5.5"x14" format constructed from 1/4" bamboo plywood and is designed to use the collection of odd 11x14 paper that I have collected over the years. I just got a Lenox Laser pinhole for the camera so figured I'd press it into service.

Attached is a picture of the camera and the first image from the camera.

The camera is still in rough form. I have to add tripod sockets, a shutter, clips to hold the back on, and finish both inside and out. I may also install some sort of handle so the camera is easier to carry. For this image I used a little gaffers tape to hold the back on and for the shutter.

The image is from a paper negative created on Ilford MGIV RC paper. I used a yellow filter taped to the inside of the camera to help keep the sky for blowing out. I then contact printed the image onto some Ilforbrom Galerie grade 3 paper that was given to me. Keep in mind that this is a test image and that I only made one exposure. I was fairly lucky with my metering and calulations. The negative was a little underexposed due to the fact I forgot to compensate for the yellow filter.

All in all I'm pretty excited, and will try and more post pictures as things progress.

Roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bamboo-Camera.jpg   First-Image.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very unusual looking camera, post another picture when it's all done.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'll take "very unusual" to be a compliment, thank you. I'll definitely post a picture of the completed project. I just returned from the hardware store with more supplies, so there is hope of completing the camera.

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the looks of the camera, and judging from the print, you clearly know how to use it. Good luck to you on the finishing work.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is a cool looking camera, can't wait to see it when you finish it.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mmmm. Nice. But it looks fairly bulky. Does it fold down for bushwalking?
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Nope, doesn't fold down. It's a little bulky, but quite light weight. I am planning on adding a handle, right now it takes two hand to pick it up.

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With the right size strap and properly located lugs it should balance very well. If you put it on a tripod you could use spade grips like a .50 cal. Maybe a ring sight too, loosen up the head & aim it quickly. Street photography anyone?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Progress on Bamboo Panopinhole

Well I've been working on the camera. I have installed the tripod sockets which I fashioned out of tee-nuts, I still have to light proof them, maybe some gaffers tape is in order. It was very tempting to order the stainless steel sockets from Skink Pinhole. Decide to save the money and keep with the brass theme for the hardware.

I have also made the retaining clips for the back. The back needs a little sanding before the clips can be installed since it is a little proud right now.

My friend Rich donated a leather handle to the cause. So that problem is solved. Rich generously lets me use his darkroom and the first exposure with the camera was made in his backyard. In exchange for the handle Rich says he gets to take a picture with the camera. Guess that's a fair trade.

Roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_3591.jpg   DSC_3596.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Working on the lugs for the handle today. My first attempt failed, I had trouble bending the brass accurately and the leather handle ended up binding. At least I tested the lugs before installing them on the camera.

My second version should work nicely. I also got smart and drew them up in DeltaCad and then printed out templates. Much easier than laying out directly on the brass.

Roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_3603.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin