Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,539   Posts: 1,572,765   Online: 877

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Anyone Using Positive Paper?

Time to reorder paper. I see that Freestlye has Efke direct positive black and white paper:
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/22242-...-4x5-25-sheets

The description says:

Yes, you can use this paper in a large format camera or pinhole camera and shoot original photographs with no negative involved.

And to further entice me:

The possibilities are endless!

Does anyone here have experience to share using this paper in a pinhole camera? My "regular" paper is Ilford RC grade 2. I'm curious how this compares in terms of exposure and development (I use Ilford PQ). And any other caveats, of course.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Here's another website to give a couple of images using that paper:
    http://www.f295.org/Pinholeforum/for...87/s-new/#num5
    Ric Johnson
    Proud member of the League of Upper Midwest Pinholers & f295

"I think, therefore, I photograph."

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was too restrictive in my search. Thank you -- these threads are helpful. So to understand, Efke and Ilford Harman have both introduced positive papers in the past year or so? I thought maybe this was a new innovation, but it looks like Kodak made a positive paper years back. So for a long time, there was no equivalent? I wonder why the revival. (I'm happy about it, of course.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm not sure why there has been a revival of this stuff but I will say I'm quite happy about it.

I've been using it as a pinhole material for the past six months or so and have had a lot of misses and some really great images too. It's a challenge to be sure, especially taming the contrast, but I certainly don't make pictures with film and traditional materials because I'm lazy.

For some reason I find this stuff very well suited to multiple exposures. I don't know why, but I think the higher contrast and tonal qualities of the paper just work really well for this. Maybe its just me, but I like it.

I typically rate it at ISO 2 and develop in very dilute paper developer. It can take quite a while for the image to come up so be patient.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just assumed that there the revival in direct positive paper, espcially by Ilford, was because of their involvement with The Impossible Project- but having thought about it, I guess that the technology might just be a bit too different to compare. . .

Btw, has anyone ever used the direct positives to enlarge slides? It would be amazing to be able to have both a slide and a traditional fine art print of the same scene without having to make an internegative!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Boggy1 View Post
    I just assumed that there the revival in direct positive paper, espcially by Ilford, was because of their involvement with The Impossible Project- but having thought about it, I guess that the technology might just be a bit too different to compare. . .
    You are perfectly right about the technology differences.
    Furthermore the emulsion of that direct positive paper was originally re-made by Ilford Imaging and not Ilford Photo (Harman that is).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks for the info. I am excited to try this paper.
    @arealitystudios - "develop in very dilute paper developer" So you can use normal paper developer for this? that's excellent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had limited exposure to this paper - I used it on world pinhole day this year...

I found 15 seconds exposure in hazy sunlight to produce a good result - the paper was developed in normal dektol....

A bit contrasty, but I love the feel to it...

If only shipping from Freestyles wasn't so overpriced to australia I'd shoot lots more!
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think Ilford were asked to get involved with that French 'walk in' camera project, weren't they? There is a mention of it in the other thread listed above.

I've tried it out but found it very high in contrast and a bit tricky to tame - and the contrast increaes with exposure time, not so useful a characteristic for pinhole photography, I didn't think...
    Steve

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin