Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,707   Online: 915

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Filters for Pinhole...?

Hi, wanting to move into pinhole photography and wondering about filters and how best to attach them to my Zero 6x9 MF box...? Any advice would be much appreciated. I can't find any info about this so I hope that someone out there can help.

I want to tone down skies a little and so if they are needed I'd opt for a middling filter like a Y/G or yellow.

Cheers,

Nick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd just use a spot of gaff tape (not duct tape) to hold the filter on. Strong enough to hold the filter securely, but won't leave any gooey residue.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Due to the extreme DOF of pinhole, many people consider it best to hold the filter very close in front of the pinhole and move it around during the exposure, to cancel any affects from dust spots or scratches that may otherwise show up on the image.

~Joe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Great, thanks for your help. Perhaps you can help with something else? I shoot with HP5 but have little experience with using it for v. long exposures. I know the reciprocity law but not sure about how much to reduce development by with v long exposures... Do you know? Cheers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Joe,

Can you help with reciprocity and development contraction for HP5? Cheers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am not sure that you do need to reduce development, at least Ilford's technical data sheet doesn't indicate anything other than increased exposure. Here is the data sheet: http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...1054152313.pdf

I have never personally changed development due to reciprocity failure alone. I have changed development and exposure times to compensate for night conditions which are very contrasty by nature, but it does not sound like you are talking about that kind of situation, rather you are encountering long exposures due only to the small aperture of your pinhole camera.

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it is traditional at this point to mention the really good reciprocity characteristics of Fuji Acros 100. According to the data sheet ( http://www.fuji.fi/documents/13/neop...os_af3083e.pdf ) it requires no adjustment up to 120 seconds and only +1/2 a stop up to 1000 seconds, making it faster in practice than other nominally faster films. Also it is really nice film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for your advice. I've had a look at Howard Bond's article which is comprehensive so the rest can be determined through making images. Acros sounds great. I'll get a couple of rolls and try them. Many thanks for replying so quickly. Cheers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got some clear PVC sheets in assorted colors at the art supply store and cut out little circles to sandwich behind the actual pinhole, thereby avoiding dust issues. Works like a champ, here is an example using a red filter:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would never have thought to put it behind the pinhole. Thanks for the tip.
    Frank Schifano

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin