Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,413   Online: 973

Shooter
    Medium Format

HP5 Reciprocity failure and development contraction

I shoot with HP5 but have little experience of using it for v. long exposures. I know the reciprocity law but not sure about how much to reduce development by with v long exposures...

Any hard and fast rule about this? Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Nick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you printing with multigrade paper? If so, I'd not make any changes in development unless you run out of yellow/green when printing. If you run out of yellow/green then decrease development by 20%. The graph on the HP5 datasheet ends at 30 seconds so beyond that any development compensation is pretty much trial and error depending on the duration of exposure and scene range.

If you need exposure compensation beyond the 30 sec range listed, there are some equations posted by Lee L who is one of the resident experts on reciprocity.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 12-12-2010 at 03:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks - good article. Found a great one by Howard Bond which Lee L recommended. Cheers

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin