Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,692   Online: 740
      
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    local
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,076
    cameras out of foamcore work great !
    you can glue a sheet of plywood to the base
    to mount your tripod.
    you might consider a holder of some sort
    to put your paper into ( or film ) so you can expose
    more than one sheet each outing ...
    i made a few book style paper holders that work great.
    i've made them for 2x2/4x5/5x7 as well as 11x14 cameras ...
    a sleeve to stick your arm into, and an exposed / unexposed folder inside the camera
    works well too ... ( but takes more effort to make )

    have fun !
    john
    im empty, good luck

  2. #12
    aaronmichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    242
    Thanks everyone. Having a film or paper holder would be very nice, but I have no idea how those work. Looks like I'll have to do some researching.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    local
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,076
    if you can get a bunch of quaker oatmeal boxes you don't need to bother with paper holders

    the cool thing about pinhole or any camera is you can make them any way you want,
    and as long as the inside is dark and light comes in one end you are golden ---

    have fun
    john
    im empty, good luck

  4. #14
    aaronmichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    if you can get a bunch of quaker oatmeal boxes you don't need to bother with paper holders

    the cool thing about pinhole or any camera is you can make them any way you want,
    and as long as the inside is dark and light comes in one end you are golden ---

    have fun
    john
    That is a very good point - hah. I already get strange looks on my school campus when I have (what it seems to people) a wooden box on top of a tripod. I can't image the looks I'd get walking around with 5 quaker oat oatmeal containers and then pointing them at things for 5 minutes - hahah.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    188
    Just say you are from the FBI and that you would rather they don't stare and draw attention to your activities. Hand out tin foil hats while you are at it--in for a penny...

  6. #16
    erikg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    pawtucket rhode island usa
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,397
    I second what Rick suggested, get the holiday popcorn tin. You can almost fit a full sheet of 11x14 in it. You can use magnets if you want, but the curl of the paper will hold it too. A curved image plane will give you less fall off than a flat one. Oatmeal canisters aren't what they used to be, they have these plastic tops that you have to tape all to hell to make it light tight, and you have to paint the inside of the whole thing completely. The metal can holds up better and is easier to load and unload. Don't bother with the tripod, just get a brick.

  7. #17
    aaronmichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikari View Post
    Just say you are from the FBI and that you would rather they don't stare and draw attention to your activities. Hand out tin foil hats while you are at it--in for a penny...
    Ahaha -thanks for the laugh.

    Quote Originally Posted by erikig
    I second what Rick suggested, get the holiday popcorn tin. You can almost fit a full sheet of 11x14 in it. You can use magnets if you want, but the curl of the paper will hold it too. A curved image plane will give you less fall off than a flat one. Oatmeal canisters aren't what they used to be, they have these plastic tops that you have to tape all to hell to make it light tight, and you have to paint the inside of the whole thing completely. The metal can holds up better and is easier to load and unload. Don't bother with the tripod, just get a brick.
    Awesome, I'll be on the look out for one of those next time i'm in the store.

  8. #18
    aaronmichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    242
    I finally just went for it and made the camera out of the plywood that we had sitting around. This is the final product.

    http://static.zooomr.com/images/9741...a782fdb5_b.jpg

    I cut the plywood up with a circular saw then it was hand nailed together since I didn't have a pneumatic nail gun. Spray painted the inside black and then used caulking to fill in the cracks, then added another couple coats of spray paint. Used a couple cheap brass hinges for the back. Rope on top for handle and a rope in the back to keep it closed when titled upward. Got to finally use it today and here's the best result I got.


  9. #19
    Joe VanCleave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Posts
    482
    That's a great image. And I like your camera, especially the worn, rugged look of the plywood. I'm assuming your camera's a one-shot affair, where you load paper or film one sheet at a time?

    ~Joe

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    North Texas
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    13
    That's a fantastic image and I love the camera. That knot in the "lens board" just adds all sorts of personality to the box. Congratulations. Do more of those in different focal lengths. Judy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin