Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,671   Online: 1166

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

What's causing the band across the bottom on my 4x5's?

First light on my new wooden 4x5, using FP4+. Getting a slash of light across the bottom of the negatives, but only when using the camera in vertical (portrait) mode. Since it happens with all film holders, and doesn't happen in landscape mode, I'm ruling out film holder problems, and suspect some sort of inside reflection. I'm new to pinholing, would appreciate any ideas. Please ignore the poor exposures, I'm still figuring this stuff out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gazebo1.jpg   Gazebo2.jpg   Pasture 5 sec.jpg   Pasture - 10 sec.jpg   rr track 2.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seems like it might be a light leak between the body and the film holder. Is this a manufactured camera or homemade? Do you rotate the camera 90º for vertical vs horizontal or do you load the film or film holder differently?

I occasionally use a 4x5 with a rotating back for pinhole shots. If I saw that I would suspect a leaking seal in the back rotation mechanism.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bellows not properly attached to the rear standard?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    is this a homemade camera? it looks like the the holder isn't quite tight to the back in vertical mode, or you are pulling the holder slightly away from the camera when you are pulling the dark slide. A light leak at the bottom of the picture is happening at the top of the camera. I'd also look for light leak, it may be very small and hard to see.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's made by another gentleman, consists of a simple but nicely crafted solid walnut box using dovetailed joints. 79mm focal length, 0.020 pinhole @ about f/158. Has tripod mounts for vertical and horizontal. The shutter is my fingertip. I have many film holders, and it's doing it with any of them--but only in the portrait position. FH's are held by large flat plastic "nut" on a stud, one on each side of the camera back. The light seals are sticky-back felt, so maybe I'm tightening the hold-downs too tight and warping the plastic body of the film holders causing them to pull away a little on the dark slide end. Still doesn't make sense to me that it doesn't happen in the landscape position, though, since I don't do anything different other than change the camera's position to horizontal and use the other tripod socket. I'll try a couple of heavy rubber bands at the top and bottom of the film holder and just lightly tighten the hold-down screws, and see if that helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pinhole1.jpg   pinhole2.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This does not look like any light leak I've ever seen.

Since you are getting a dark band at the bottom of the photo, this means that portion of the negative is receiving less exposure than the rest of the film. That portion of the film is at the top of the camera during exposure. Since this band is pretty clearly defined, it looks like *something* is casting a shadow on the top portion of the film plane when you rotate the camera to a vertical position.

Could gravity be at work here? When you rotate the camera to a vertical position, is *something* moving down to cause this obstruction that is casting the shadow?

Another question: which direction are you rotating the camera when you go vertical? In other words, are you pulling the dark slide from the top, or the bottom? And, if you are pulling it from the top, are you removing it completely, or just pulling it up? If you are just pulling it up, perhaps gravity is pulling it back down ever so slightly, just enough to cast a shadow?

Images
    Good Morning, Picker77,

I agree with the previous posters. There's an easy to way to check: When you pull the dark slide, be sure that your focusing hood is thoroughly shading the camera; likewise when replacing it after the esposure. If that doesn't resolve the matter, you'll have to look for other camera leaks.

Konical

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think that the problem is a light leak, most likely due to the fit between the holder and the body.

In the 3 vertical shots, the “band” looks approximately normal and the rest of the scene is fogged.

The fogged area is strongest on the lower left side of the picture. With the camera in vertical orientation, that corresponds to the upper right. That is where I suspect that the light leak is coming from.

In horizontal orientation the leak will be on the bottom edge to the right. With the leak along the bottom edge, the amount of light reflected by the ground is likely considerably less than when the camera is in vertical orientation with the gap able to “see” the sky to the upper right.

You can verify the leak by attaching the holder in a relatively darkened room, removing the dark slide, covering the back of the camera and holder with a dark cloth, making the vertical format exposure, and returning to the darkened room to replace the slide.

If the film shows no light leak then you’ll know that you’ve found the problem.

You may want to re-engineer the way the camera seals against the holder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As Ian C stated, you have a light leak on the top right of the camera body. There are other problems, but find the cause of this one and the others will be easier to figure out.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, Gentlemen. Sensible advice.

There can't be anything loose inside, it's a simple wooden box. When I shoot in vertical format with it, I pull the dark slides out from the top. In horizontal mode, I pull the dark slides out to the right.

I think for starters I'll try sealing a freshly loaded film holder to the camera body around its entire perimeter with black photo tape, and make a test exposure. If the problem goes away (and it almost has to) then I can start narrowing down the suspect area, although the upper right side of the body, as stated by some, is more likely the culprit. I'll get it sorted out, I'm sure, with a little careful testing. Will post the results here, and thanks to all.

Never been able to get excited about small/med format pinholing, but doing this with LF is kind of fun! Now I'm thinking about 8x10 contact prints one of these days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin