Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,203   Online: 979

CuS

Shooter
    35mm

The Junction Box Pinhole

Finally made a 120 roll film pinhole - made very essay by the waterproof junction box I found.

Included are a shot of its front, the film transport, on a tripod and a shot from it.

It has a 75mm focal length, produces 5x11cm images with a f/285 pinhole.

I also used a shutter from an ailing Agfa Viking. There is a spirit level on top and a tripod mounting base on the bottom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5358034175_cd557dc1a8_z.jpg   5362345970_3cb64a56cd_z.jpg   5355538906_84a86a8f24_z.jpg   5355538200_7af33cc76b_z.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is great. Can you say a little bit about how you did the film transport? I get the general idea from the picture, but what's going on in the linkage between the "handle" and the film spool, inside those four hex nuts? I guess it needs to turn freely, without engaging a thread, but be stiff enough to hold its position once you advance the film---is it just a matter of finding a shaft of the right diameter?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Not only does this camera have functionality, it has style as well. Bravo!

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice. Do I take it that this is a moulded plastic box?
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

CuS

Shooter
    35mm

a few more details

Yes, the box is molded plastic - quite high density and the lid has a rebate in which came a gasket - makes for a very good light-tight seal. I replaced teh screws holding the lens plate (lid) to teh body of teh box with threaded studs for wing nuts - makes getting in and out much easier.

Here is a source for teh box itself:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_145145-223-E...junction%2Bbox

I'll do some more detailing on teh transport later

CuS

Shooter
    35mm

the film transport

Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    This is great. Can you say a little bit about how you did the film transport? I get the general idea from the picture, but what's going on in the linkage between the "handle" and the film spool, inside those four hex nuts? I guess it needs to turn freely, without engaging a thread, but be stiff enough to hold its position once you advance the film---is it just a matter of finding a shaft of the right diameter?-NT
    The film transport is made up of:
    - two carriage bolts (the outermost bolts shown);
    - one eye bolt for the film advance with the end of the eye bolt cut to form an end that can fit into the end of a 120 spool;
    - 3 screws which for the other spool retaining points; and
    - 2 springs which I got from a faucet repair kit.

The nuts you see on the eye bolt keep the eye bolt locked in position but allow the eye bolt to spin freely.

You will also notice that the outer carriage bolts are white - I covered them with teflon plumbers tape to cut down on friction.

To install the film transport in the box, the eye bolt and its nuts are removed from the assembly and the rest is placed in the bottom of the box. There is a small hole cut in the junction box side for the eye bolt to pass through once the film transport is in place.

I'll take some better shots today which illustrate this a bit more if you are interested.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    well done, looks impressive as does the image you've taken.
    Follow the Light John 8:12
    ~~~PhotoBob

Rom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very nice pinhole, bravo.

I am starting the study to built a small one... And your work is very good.

I will come back later with few questions i think.

Thanks for sharing

Rom

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin