Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,075   Online: 937

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Pinhole Tin Question

I've got my little truck...and I can move the paper to different distances within the body so it's either closer or farther away from the pinhole. I've not yet experimented with that yet...

I *did* find a tin from some Boy Scout chocolate toffee popcorn. (Yummy. I want more of that!)

What's the 'perfect' or best size paper to fit in the tin? (I plan on using a much smaller pinhole using part of a pop can and a smaller sewing needle.)

My other question is this:

Does the paper sit against the curved back of it or is it better to have a curved plane, meaning instead of the paper curved with the tin but having something in the tin to have the paper curve in the opposite direction so that when you're looking down on the paper and tin, it looks like an oval?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have no experience in this area, but I'd say if you can hit focus in the middle of the curved plane, whether concave or convex, you'd be doing well!
    I think most have the paper along the same plane as the tin - curving with it. IMAX movie screens have that curvature I believe. But I think it would be great if you experimented with having the paper bulging towards the pinhole. Could be unique?

A quick search gave me these:
    http://www.paintcancamera.com/use.html
    http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...equestid=45889

Please share your results!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try it all, you're sure to get something cool! I've made a lot of tin can cameras and have done a bunch with students and I've found that in terms of getting evenness of exposure having the paper curve with the best. That makes sense, keeping the paper as close to equidistant to the pinhole negates light fall off. As far as size of paper in the can I'd say as big as can fit, the angle of view will be very large. This may be just me but I found that I like more than one pinhole in the can, usually three works pretty well, images overlap, you get some pretty interesting stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the input. I'll have to get to building once it warms up -- if it ever will!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Everything will be in focus. All you're affecting is perspective. And that might, indeed, produce some very interesting images.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lets Get Ready !

Only 74 Days, 2 Hours, 15 Minutes, Until WWPPD !!!

PinholeDay.Org

Ron

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used the giant popcorn tins that come out around Christmas. Paint the inside black and use magnetic strip tape to hold 8x10 paper.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    One thing to maybe anticipate. The more drastic the curve, the more light falloff you might incur with your oval shape at the edges. With the curve of the tin might getcha goin' as long as you have the center spaced away from the can a bit.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Everything will be in focus. All you're affecting is perspective. And that might, indeed, produce some very interesting images.
    That right there is what I'm thinking... and doesn't the curve of the paper have something to do with a vignette?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yup, you've got it. Curve with the can: less fall off, curve opposite: more. Vignette has a lot to do with size of the paper relative to size of the image circle which is controlled by the focal length of the camera. Get the paper close enough to the hole you'll get a circular picture. That can be pretty cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin