Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,672   Posts: 1,481,819   Online: 1138

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

An unexplained pinhole capture

Don't ask me how this happened. My husband and I went to the park yesterday in Springfield. I braved the sub-zero temps (at 1:30, it was still -15F) and I took a two second exposure of one of the lagoons. You know the drill...one one thousand, two one thousand and I slid the magnet back into place. I *did* leave the pinhole truck in the van that afternoon in the freezing cold...but after I brought it inside the house after work, I waited a couple of hours with the tin on the kitchen table, waiting for it to thaw out. The paper was room temp by the time I got around to dipping in my tray of Dektol in the basement bathroom (my makeshift darkroom). The safe light was on, no light leaks. I even fixed that nasty light leak that was obscuring 1/2 the photographs I had taken earlier this month.

And now this?

And that's the positive version - which I inverted in Photoshop as I've not yet quite figured out how to do a contact print with no enlarger light...although I do have a small LED flash light that I'm thinking about using and will try that out this weekend. (Any other suggestions would be kindly appreciated.)

So....

I have no clue what happened...and can this be explained?

Susan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know how that happened, but you can try using a dimmer switch and a work lamp for contact print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dehk View Post
    I don't know how that happened, but you can try using a dimmer switch and a work lamp for contact print.
    I'm pretty well confused about how that happened.

Dimmer switch and work lamp? I have a couple of painters lights...would that work with a dimmer switch and a 10watt bulb?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe it's your breath?
    Oooo. Let me rephrase that. Maybe it's the condensation from your breath?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pinhole_dreamer View Post
    And that's the positive version - which I inverted in Photoshop as I've not yet quite figured out how to do a contact print with no enlarger light...although I do have a small LED flash light that I'm thinking about using and will try that out this weekend. (Any other suggestions would be kindly appreciated.)
    There's a current thread on here called "Show off your artificial light source" that might be of help.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Maybe it's your breath?
    Oooo. Let me rephrase that. Maybe it's the condensation from your breath?
    Too funny!

I thought about that. I'm not sure how that happened. I'll load it up again tonight or maybe in the morning and take it out tomorrow. It will be a whopping 20 above 0 after 12 noon! Heat wave doncha know?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fungal growth or stain on emulsion? Seems unlikely given the reported timeline.
    But derangement of the emulsion is a more likely possibility going from very cold conditions to much warmer conditions, even with a wait period.
    But you know what they say about pinhole cameras: "Out of nothing comes something, and then some."
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm pretty well confused about how that happened.

Dimmer switch and work lamp? I have a couple of painters lights...would that work with a dimmer switch and a 10watt bulb?
    Try it and see what happens. might wanna put a piece of paper under it to diffuse the light too, have fun!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Try taking it outside and back inside when you return in a large enough plastic bag to slightly maintain the ambient temperature which will allow the film to gradually acclimatize to the temp extremes instead of going into shock both times.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format

I have no clue what happened...and can this be explained?
    You photographed a ghost. Well done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin