Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,096   Online: 1052

Shooter
    35mm

In dire need of help.

I've been researching and talking to people about how to make a pinhole camera as a requirement for a class I'm currently taking. Yet, I can't seem to find the information I need. Some questions:

1) I have to use a sheet feeder, should the box fit snugly to it? If not, how should I attach it?

2) What kind of paper should I use? I use Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster to print, could I use this in the camera?

3) How do I calculate how large the pinhole should be?

I really have no idea what I'm doing with this so any additional help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm not sure what you mean by a paper feeder, so can't help you there. But the kind of paper you want to use is black and white photo RC (resin coated)paper. I use Ilford MG RC, cause I have lots of that around. Unless it's a class requirement, or you are one of those really detail- oriented types, just use the smallest pin or needle you can find to make the hole. Pinhole cameras should be fun! Enjoy it!
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, oh!

I see a problem!

Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster is a digital printing paper! At http://www.epson.com the search came up with
    Instant-drying, soft gloss paper for vivid, lifelike images. Ideal for printing digital photographs with accurate colors and rich, bold blacks.

Overview

* Highest color gamut available for vivid color reproduction
    * RC paper base for actual photo prints
    * Luster E surface finish
    * Enhanced 2880 dpi printing for the highest quality output
    * Dries instantly for easy handling with Epson inks
    * Compatible with Dye, EPSON Archival™, UltraChrome, and UltraChrome K3™ ink
    * 10 mil thickness for a durable photographic feel
    You need Photographic paper.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A simple search for "pinhole camera" on Google returns two "how to make" articles in the top three, so information isn't hard to find. While there are companies which manufacture pinhole cameras, the vast majority of them are home-made because they're so simple. However, you have to use real photographic paper or film in them. The inkjet paper you referred to won't work: it's sensitive to paint, not light. Using a pinhole camera is again simple and, since no two home-made cameras are exactly the same, something of an art. They are ideal for experimenting and playing around with, and are quite a lot of fun to use. Also simple and cheap, especially if you use photographic paper rather than film (because paper is simple to process and more tolerant of inexact processes.)

We have no idea what a "sheet feeder" is, what it looks like or how it works so we won't be of much help there, sorry. A photo would likely be helpful.

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Two fine online resources are http://home.online.no/~gjon/pinhole.htm and http://www.f295.org/site/. A comprehensive library may have a copy of Eric Renner's excellent and comprehensive Pinhole Photography. If what you call a sheet feeder is what most of us call a film holder, there are examples of several ways to attach it to the camera on the second site.

Mal
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin