Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,242   Online: 1044

Shooter
    35mm RF

Need tip on DIY pinhole tripod mount

I'm designing my first 135 pinhole camera and I want it to have a tripod mount, but english is not my first language and I don't know how to look for that particular piece (I'm thinking about the metal chrome-colored ones). Any tips? If anyone has a better option in terms of both usability and/or price I would like to hear it too

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your English is better than many British students I've taught, you've used the best possible description

Have a look at this thread.

I need to buy something similar myself to finish a camera restoration.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use style "c" in the photo, 1/4" length (shortest made) so I dont have a hole completely into my cameras. I also counter-bore a shallow area for the flange so it sits flush with the camera body. I dont use screws to attach through the flange holes, I epoxy them in place, allowing the epoxy to squeeze through the holes, then sand flat after curing.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Your English is better than many British students I've taught, you've used the best possible description

Have a look at this thread.

I need to buy something similar myself to finish a camera restoration.

Ian
    Thank you Ian, that's exactly what I was looking for! I didn't think about these T-nuts, I thought people were using some kind of specialized adapter. That not being the case, this is going to be really cheapo

Style A seems to be what I was looking for: drill a hole (the camera's enclosure will be made of mdf/plywood, I haven't decided yet), hammer the T-nut down to create the corresponding fissures, half-fill them with epoxy and finally insert the nut. What do you think?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I'd go for "C" like Rick suggests but then I'm not using MDF and have a greater weight involved with my camera. "A" is probably fine for your use.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My cameras are mahogany, and very light of weight. I use a pair of them, one for horizontal and one for vertical.
    Last edited by Rick A; 03-11-2011 at 06:16 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added info
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
    T I didn't think about these T-nuts, I thought people were using some kind of specialized adapter.
    Ummm, I have some of the specialized photographic tripod mount nuts available.

They're $39.95 each. ; )
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My 4x5 pinhole camera is made of strawboard (similar to MDF, but made of compressed Canadian straw). I use a 1/4-20 T-nut with a counterbore for the flange inside the box. I also discovered that a US penny slips perfectly into the required 3/4 inch counterbore on top of the T-nut flange to stop light leaking through the T-nut thread hole. Cheap, effective, removable if needed.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very clever Lee.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another method : http://www.f295.org/Pinholeforum/for...?m-1207073636/

But I used the C revision of the link Ian posted with my wooden 4x5 and smaller cameras. For the larger 8x10 I make them like the F295 link i posted but use a 3/8inch mount which screws directly into tripod without the head. Just a bit more solid

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin