Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,539   Online: 1056

Shooter
    35mm

plans to make a wooden pinhole

Hi all!!!

I've been looking for plans to make a wooden pinhole camera, beter 35mm but it doesn't mater if it's 120.

Does anybody know where can I find some plans to make my own wooden pinhole?

Thank you very much,

jxprat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    f295.org

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Jon Grepstadt's excellent site http://home.online.no/~gjon/pinhole.htm has much information, many links, and sketches of one wooden roll film pinhole camera. In pinhole photography, the larger the film size, the better the image quality. While this is true to some extent with lenses, it is more important in pinhole photography if recording detail is important.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jjprat View Post
    Hi all!!!

I've been looking for plans to make a wooden pinhole camera, beter 35mm but it doesn't mater if it's 120.

Does anybody know where can I find some plans to make my own wooden pinhole?

Thank you very much,

jxprat
    Don't know where you could find plans at but have you thought about using paper negatives instead of film? Shooting film would be nice but paper negatives have their benefits too. I've built a couple wooden cameras out of leftover plywood and soda can metal for the pinhole material and have gotten great results.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronmichael View Post
    Don't know where you could find plans at but have you thought about using paper negatives instead of film? Shooting film would be nice but paper negatives have their benefits too. I've built a couple wooden cameras out of leftover plywood and soda can metal for the pinhole material and have gotten great results.
    Aaronmichae,

yes, I did!!! I made my own pinhole, being able to use (o the same camera) 3 diferent focal distances (wide, normal and tele) just puting the paper near the hole, in the midle or at the back. It worked very well and it was a great discovering for me.

I post some photos about it:

- General external view of the camera
    - Interior (Inside) the camera. Here you can view the 3 diferent placements where you can put the paper and get a wide, normal or tele camera.
    - Stenopo (the hole) that also can be changed to acomodate the diferent focal lengths if necessary.

The drwbacks (for me and my camera dessign) are:

1. Just can play one shot, then you need to go at dark to change the paper.
    2. So many long times. Paper has very low sensivity (maybe 3 ASA?)
    3. Too big to transport. Really, isn't so big but ... it's like a shoe box.

I want o make another pinhole but a "nice" pinhole. Wood pinhole. Using 35mm film (probably I'll change the size of the frame, maybe 24x24mm or I'll make it variable). I'ld like to test one of these laser pinholes, ...

So I've got an idea about what I want but I'ld like to have some plans just to finish my this personal project.

Than you everybody,

jxprat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails general.jpg   interior.jpg   estenopo.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Looks like a great camera. I know what you mean about portability though, it's a pain in the ass. It definitely would be nice to have one that takes either 35mm or 120. If I construct one that takes either of those, I'm not looking forward to reciprocity failure, not being able to develop by inspection, not being able to load under a safe light, and having to shoot a whole roll before knowing what you got. But good luck if you find plans and make one!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not great but a start for a roll film pinhole. At least it gives a idea of things
    Attached Files

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    Not great but a start for a roll film pinhole. At least it gives a idea of things
    Good!!!

That's a good point of departure!!! Thank you very much.

Just a question, have you made any pinhole using this plan as a model? How it worked?

Thanks again,

jxprat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, as a 60mm focal length , work well as a 6x6 and 6x9 but 6x12 has some light fall off at the edge.
    Give me a few minute and I'll some to Flickr ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/isisfor...7623878823730/ )
    Last edited by SMBooth; 03-18-2011 at 05:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin