Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,384   Online: 1047

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Multiple Pinhole Exposure Method

I made a new pinhole camera the other day from a rectangular box I found - it was just missing a back. I drilled three holes in the front and put a pinhole behind each. My question is, what would be the best way to expose the image? I could either build something to uncover all three at the same time or I could expose one pinhole, cover it back up, then expose the next,...etc. I'm thinking the two different methods would produce different results. Maybe doing it one at a time would produce a sharper image because the light from the other pinhole(s) isn't interfering. Any input would be great - thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Considering it's such a weird design, I'd love to see all the pinholes exposed at once.

Just make sure the escalators not moving....
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That is quite interesting. Expose one, move to a new spot, expose another. Think of the possibilities!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    That is quite interesting. Expose one, move to a new spot, expose another. Think of the possibilities!
    Why did I not think of that!? I'm for sure going to have to try that out next time I use it.

Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers
    Considering it's such a weird design, I'd love to see all the pinholes exposed at once.

Just make sure the escalators not moving....
    Haha - the escalator was off. It's spring break at our campus so everything is shut down. Maybe I'll just have to do a series of tests with it, one with opening all of them at once and another with doing one at a time. And then of course as Klainmeister suggested, take three different photos with it.

This is one I took with it yesterday, but now I forget how I exposed it.

http://flic.kr/p/9tU6yB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey, put color separation filters over the 3-pinholes and you've got instant separation negatives for tri-color printing.

Haha, the possibilities are endless.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Hey, put color separation filters over the 3-pinholes and you've got instant separation negatives for tri-color printing.

Haha, the possibilities are endless.
    That would only work with black and white film and not paper negatives, right? Since photo paper isn't sensitive to red light. I don't know, I'm confusing myself now - haha.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think it would make any difference if you open the pinholes all at once or one at a time, that's how the little blenders work. Now if the elevator your got the tripod on starts moving, all bets are off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronmichael View Post
    That would only work with black and white film and not paper negatives, right? Since photo paper isn't sensitive to red light. I don't know, I'm confusing myself now - haha.
    Exactamundo.... so scratch my idea if you're using paper.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Exactamundo.... so scratch my idea if you're using paper.
    Yup, using paper. I think it would be a pain in the ass to load that thing with film, along with the fact that it would be impractical and expensive. Paper negatives are much easier I shot with it more today and I found that all my images were turning out really grey for some reason. It looked like the paper was fogged but I cut a strip off, put it in the developer, and it looked fine. The inside of the camera wasn't painted black so I'm thinking that maybe have had something to do with it? I spray painted it tonight and hoping to try it out again later on this week.

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Remember to submit an image (whatever image eventuates) for World Pinhole Photography Day on 24th April!
    Not sure that not having painting the inside of the camera black is a good idea.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin