Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,377   Online: 1091

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Pinhole

Arches National Park - 8x10 Paper Negatives

Shot some paper negatives in my 8x10 box camera last week at Arches National Park, near Moab, Utah. All images using Freestyle's Arista-brand grade 2 RC paper, post-flashed prior to development, developed by inspection in Ilford Universal paper developer mixed 1+15 at 68f. The paper I rate at an Exposure Index of 12. Exposure times varied from around 30 seconds to several minutes, depending on the light.

~Joe

Delicate Arch:

Skyline Arch:

Fiery Furnace Overlook:

Turret Arch:

Courthouse Rock:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bow to you, you are the master, Joe. Wow, very nice indeed. Did you take your portable DR and process there or wait until you got home?
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Well done! Very impressed. The Courthouse Rock and Fiery Furnace overlook both have something beautiful and intriguing about them.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very nice set of images Joe!

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Rick, I waited to get home to process these. The camera has storage slots in the back, behind the film plane, for exposed and unexposed sheets; I took about 40 sheets, but exposed only 18. Alas, my portable darkroom box is a bit too small for processing 8x10.

~Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wouldn't the use of paper as a negative result in laterally reversed images? With transparent film negatives we look from the non-emulsion side to see the picture right-way-around, so why should that not apply to paper? And how did the images shown here become positive? Did you use a reversal process? Sorry if my questions appear to display ignorance, but I am just not familiar with the use of opaque paper as a negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, paper isn't all that opaque, you can print right through it if the developed emulsion faces the target print. I could easily picture doing contact prints. The only hazard might be paper that has some sort of watermarks or imprints on the back.

Joe's images are great. I'm following these threads with interest after my first feeble attempts at pinhole paper negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wonderful set of images. What focal length is your camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    Actually, paper isn't all that opaque, you can print right through it if the developed emulsion faces the target print. I could easily picture doing contact prints. The only hazard might be paper that has some sort of watermarks or imprints on the back.

Joe's images are great. I'm following these threads with interest after my first feeble attempts at pinhole paper negatives.
    But then you get a left-right reversal, right?

[Question: If 4"x5" is 5"x4" in the UK, does the left-right reversal become right-left reversal? I am so confused!! ]

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    But then you get a left-right reversal, right?

[Question: If 4"x5" is 5"x4" in the UK, does the left-right reversal become right-left reversal? I am so confused!! ]

Steve
    I dont even want to think about how that works in the southern hemisphere.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin