Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,921   Posts: 1,556,577   Online: 1213

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Well, I thnk I'm ready for WPPD

I have managed to cobble together a 4x5 pinhole camera with a decently wide angle of view. And today, I tried some just-purchased Arista.EDU #2 RC paper (recommended in some other threads). It appears to do a better job than the MGIV I tried last week.

I think I now have enough data to stumble through another pinhole day without coming up empty handed. It was a fun project, mostly using scraps from around the workshop. I actually managed to do a dimple-and-sand pinhole in 1 mil brass shim stock -- whooo whee!

The B&W is an actual contact print on Arista RC #2 from the paper negative of same paper (and yes, left to right is not reversed!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _E6087_FrontView_ShutterOpen.jpg   _AristaEDU_RC_Contact.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Looks awesome! I need to start brainstorming what my pinhole photo will be of on that day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    cool rig...

keep us posted on your progress.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice camera, and photo. I too need to think about what I will photograph.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice camera! Have fun next Sunday.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've found my 'model' for WWPD. NOAA says Saturday is supposed to be clear so at least I can go outside without having to muck about inside.

I may even load the candy cam up for a shot at the park as the tulips are in bloom.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning...It smells like...PHOTOGRAPHY!

The photo blog has moved...
    I Love Film : by Susan McNutt, the mad photographer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Excellent -- for long pinhole exposures, it's nice to have a model that holds still!

They seem to be calling for rain here, but I think five of the last six pinhole days have been drippy or threatening, so I guess I should just expect it. For some subjects, the reduced contrast can be useful anyway. I have a dozen or so filmholders, so I can take both film and paper and blast away as the mood strikes. I also ran some Arista ULTRA 100 film in my tests. Originally I didn't plan to buy any more 4x5 film since I really don't use that format and the film is pricey, but the stuff from Freestyle is pretty reasonable (and "good enough for pinhole"). I used the Pinhole Designer timing conversions for Fomapan 100. They suggest reciprocity rears its ugly head pretty badly, but I did get recognizable results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=DWThomas;1169574]Excellent -- for long pinhole exposures, it's nice to have a model that holds still!

No kidding! I need to make a few more mods...but that's a whole 'nother story! lol! I'm in the midst of making a new outfit for her based on a 1860s pattern I found online and have sized down for her.

I may end up getting some 4x5 for my pinhole camera. I've been debating it - and making a camera around a holder if I can find one cheap online. I've been reading about the different ways to develop the film - and tray or dip and dunk. I've not made up my mind yet so that's a bit in the future for me.

I've loaded the candy cam for tomorrow. I may take a quick shot at break in the morning as my lunch hour will be spent standing in line to renew my driver's license. *sigh*

What is "pinhole designer timing"? I'm still fuddled with the Sunny 16 rule. I just figure if it's bright, use a smaller f-stop on my cameras (I have TWO that are p&s and my Pentax) and that's pretty much what I do...and guestimate from there. Not very scientific.

Hmmm...your "good enough for pinhole" is pretty funny. I'll use whatever I have on hand! lol!
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning...It smells like...PHOTOGRAPHY!

The photo blog has moved...
    I Love Film : by Susan McNutt, the mad photographer

Shooter
    35mm
    @pinhole_dreamer: Go to http://www.mrpinhole.com/calcpinh.php and click on "pinhole exposure guide"... of course, you still need to calculate recoprocity for your particular film. If you get a good exposure with guesstimating, I see no reason for complicated calculations, though. I usually just note the Sunny 16 exposure time from the pinhole calculator and guess from there: A little cloudy is 1 stop more, shadow is 2 stops, dark clouds is 3 stops, and so on. When the exposure is several seconds to minutes, a second more or less doesn't really matter anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pinhole_dreamer View Post
    What is "pinhole designer timing"? I'm still fuddled with the Sunny 16 rule. I just figure if it's bright, use a smaller f-stop on my cameras (I have TWO that are p&s and my Pentax) and that's pretty much what I do...and guestimate from there. Not very scientific.
    Pinhole Designer is a free download for Windoze (it even seems to run OK on Win7x64) that can do a bunch of calculations for pinhole size, angle of view and all that exciting stuff. It also has the ability to generate a chart, which can even be exported as an Excel file, the chart has two columns with exposure calculations. The left column is the metered shutter speed for f/22, the right column gives the exposure for whatever f-stop you've entered. It has the additional ability to generate the second column with compensation for reciprocity failure. It has built-in data for a number of films. Unfortunately it doesn't have all films, and hasn't been updated in seven or eight years.

When I was playing with the Arista ULTRA 100, I picked Fomapan 100 as a choice (which I think is actually what it is). As an example, in the dull lighting at hand last weekend, the reading was 1/15 sec @ f/22. The uncompensated reading for an exposure at the f/210 of my pinhole would be 6 seconds. The compensated number was 44 seconds! That's almost three stops additional. A few years back, I used a similar chart with Delta 100 and got the impression the compensation for that film was a bit overdone, but that area seems to be a bit mysterious anyway!

My general sense is with pinhole it's better to err on the side of over exposure -- easier to have to draw out the print making exposure than have no shadow detail on the negative.

DaveT
    Last edited by DWThomas; 04-20-2011 at 10:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin