Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,761   Online: 1267

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello, I'm new

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hello, I'm new

To pinhole photography.

I've got a 4x5 pinhole coming my way and I think I'd like to try and make some images on WPPD!

I've searched online and there seems to be lots and lots of information on these things, but I wanted to see if maybe you all had some suggestions for resources.

I am relatively new to film as well, so I don't have a darkroom and don't do my own developing. What type and or brand or film should I use? Is there one that performs better than the other for this type of shooting?

Any other good tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I mostly use paper for negatives with my pinhole cameras. Its easier to deal with printing paper than film, you can develope by inspection under safelight, then scan or contact print for positive image.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Depends on how you want to expose the film. Do you prefer slower speeds so your pinhole will be a minimal of 1 sec on a sunny day? Or do you want shorter? I ask, because as I've learned, exposing by hand....literally using my hand as a shutter...is tough with higher speed films.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    There is not a wrong film, high ASA or low ASA (ISO) will set the exposure time but really that's all. I shoot 100 or 400 ASA all the time. Make sure you use www.f295.org for your research, it is (in my humble opinion) the greatest pinhole (lensless) website.
    Ric Johnson
    Proud member of the League of Upper Midwest Pinholers & f295

"I think, therefore, I photograph."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    I mostly use paper for negatives with my pinhole cameras. Its easier to deal with printing paper than film, you can develope by inspection under safelight, then scan or contact print for positive image.
    What Rick said. Start off with paper and you don't need a darkroom just a fairly dark bathroom with a safe light and some chemicals in trays. Your exposure times will be a bit longer than for film but it is cheaper and easier than film.

Remember to have fun.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you, everyone, for your replies. It appears as if I have some decisions to make and some research to do. When you mention paper for negatives...is there a particular brand or name? See? That's how oblivious I am to this stuff. I'm definitely interested in a easier and more cost effective approach to start things off with. Many thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
    Thank you, everyone, for your replies. It appears as if I have some decisions to make and some research to do. When you mention paper for negatives...is there a particular brand or name? See? That's how oblivious I am to this stuff. I'm definitely interested in a easier and more cost effective approach to start things off with. Many thanks!
    If you're just starting out and wanting to experiment then I'd go with a cheaper RC paper such as the Arista brand or another brand that is on the cheaper side. I think Arista is the cheapest though. Since you're not using the paper for regular printing, then it's not necessary that it be an expensive paper with an amazing tonal range. All paper negatives no matter what brand are going to be high in contrast, but once you get into it more then you will figure out that there are definitely ways to control that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Any more sites for beginning pinhole cameras?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need to check out f295.org, its all about pinhole photography.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin